Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Three Down...Seven to Go

Grant had his third round of chemo today and took it like a champ.  He was awake for nearly half of the treatment, standing on my legs and cooing like absolutely nothing was happening.  During the time in which he slept, I kept myself entertained with some online shopping on Damon's iPad....this could be a very expensive 10-week period. 

He didn't seem as tired after this week's chemo - he was awake during the drive home, "talking" with me nearly the entire way.  We also spent a little bit of time outside late this afternoon enjoying the fabulous weather.  The meds did catch up to him though, as he conked out on the changing table tonight mid-diaper change.  We'll see if he sleeps through the night for the first time tonight - - I know both Damon and I are eagerly awaiting that day.

The infusion area, the open section with all of the chairs of patients receiving treatment, of the Cancer Center is an inspiring place.  It definitely takes you out of your comfort zone, but it's amazing what these kids are able to endure... Today Grant was sitting next to a little girl (probably 7-8 years old) who was sitting through her second session of a week long treatment.  Her meds were running over the span of six hours (translating to roughly an eight hour appointment), and she was doing this for five days straight.  Never once during the two+ hours that Grant & I were sitting next to her did she complain; the only negative thing I heard from her was about the hospital food they brought her for lunch.  Pretty amazing - I cannot complain about sitting in traffic or on an airplane again.

Today was our last day with NeNe; she flies home to St. Louis first thing in the morning.  I'm so fortunate to have such a wonderful and selfless mother who essentially uprooted her life for four-weeks to come and help however she could.  I'm looking forward to my mother-in-law (NaNa Hovey) coming, although she does have some big shoes to fill...I'm confident she will :)

Cracking up with NeNe this afternoon.

Still bright-eyed after chemo.

A picture of resiliency - "What NG tube & chemo?"



2 comments:

  1. I think Grants new nickname should be "Champ"! Cousin Bret picked that for himself after the WWF wrestler "The Rock!" He even has it written on the back of his highschool lettermans jacket. Of coarse "Champ Grant" is chosen because he is so strong and making all of this seem like it's so easy. I love "Champ Grants pictures" His smile melts all of us. And of coarse, "Champ Grant is so handsome!" Again, we're praying that the chemo isn't to hard on him. Your family is on our minds everyday. "Champ Grant" is an amazing little boy!!! Love and Hugs, Auntie Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pictures are adorable! He is such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete