Swimming lessons have changed significantly since I was a kid, as the initial focus is much more centered upon water safety and survival versus learning the basic strokes. Alexa's level of lessons is rooted in "supergirl" (gliding) with kicks, back floats and transitioning back and forth between the two. She's definitely getting the hang of these moves, as she swam across the pool and back too many times to count, all while I stayed off to the side. In addition to the hour yesterday, we had another two hours of non-stop swimming this afternoon. My hope of a summer when Alexa can swim without hanging onto me is becoming a reality!
It's cute to see the pride she has in herself for this accomplishment. This did not come easy to her, but the hours of lessons (I think I know every instructor at AquaSafe by name) proved that Mommy's preaching of "practice, practice, practice" was right. This morning she was by Damon's side of the bed at 7am asking him if he wanted to watch her swim. He obliged a few hours later (we had to have our much-anticipated "garbage" for breakfast first!), and was completely floored, as he hasn't taken her to a swim lesson since the transformation.
Next up...numbers and letters. Alexa has told me she is doing the challenging work at school on her own initiative. I need to confirm this with her teacher, as swimming + academics is almost too good to be true. Someone must be smiling down on me...... :)
| Swimming like a fish! |
Alexa, so proud of you. I know now that you will definitely master your numbers like a pro. Love Joanne
ReplyDelete