I don't think it was any coincidence that Alexa dragged a huge, floppy stuffed giraffe out of the playroom yesterday and toted it all evening. She fell asleep with it, dragged it across the house when she came into our room in the middle of the night, brought it to the breakfast table...I know Alexa can sense our sadness, but I think she's equally as sad that her baby brother is not here to celebrate one of the most important things to her - - birthdays.
Despite the heavy hearts, Damon and I did what we could to honor and celebrate Granty on his birthday. Damon was working tonight, so Alexa and I had a party to honor the birthday boy. I picked up the birthday must-haves of a mylar balloon, Sprinkles cupcakes (the same ones we had on Alexa's first birthday) and, of course, a #1 candle. After Alexa scarfed down her chicken and broccoli, it was time for the celebration. We sang "Happy Birthday" to Granty two times, enabling Alexa to blow out the candle twice. I started to tear-up on the second round of the song, and Alexa took one look at me and started to do the same. This was not the first birthday party I envisioned, but I think we did a good job celebrating the birthday boy. We will be celebrating on June 3rd for the rest of our lives....
| Happy 1st Birthday, Granty! Big sis was more than willing to blow out the #1 candle in your honor. |
| Even Alstott joined in the celebration....probably hoping for a cupcake. |
| Alexa and her floppy giraffe friend - her constant companion lately. |
![]() |
| Papa and Nana Hovey along with Auntie Gia and cousins Luke and Austin went to the cemetery to visit the birthday boy. |


You are such a JOY, little boy!!
ReplyDeleteHappy 1st Birthday--thinking so much about you(and your family) today.
Lots of Love---NeNe
Connie, Damon and Alexa, When I arose yesterday, all I could think of was Granty, and of course all of you. Mass wa said in Granty's honor and special prayers were said for the family. Even though I never had the pleasure of meeting Granty he has made such a significant mark on my life, thank you Granty and Happy 1st Birthday. Love, Joanne
ReplyDeleteYou make everyday special. Happy Birthday, sweet Grant.
ReplyDeleteLove, Daron, Sophene, Ani and Armenio