There is a reason for checking out so many books - Alexa likes to hear the same ones over and over and over again. I really think she would be happy if we checked out one book and ready it a hundred times. Each time she brings a book to me to read, there is always a two-read minimum. It's always funny to overhear Damon trying to steer her to the early-reader books in her bag, as these are by far the quickest to read.
I've realized why she likes the repetition....she actually memorizes the book so she can "read" it to herself later. Her interest in letters is definitely rising (finally), and she enjoys the independence of being able to "read" like the kinders in her class.
Tonight, as I was cleaning up the kitchen after dinner, I heard her in the living room reading the book "Pirates and Princesses." I assumed she was reading it aloud to herself, but when I went to check on her, she was curled up on the couch next to the end table with an 8x10 of Granty. She was reading the story to Grant's picture, even turning the book to show him the pictures. This was one of those moments when I wished I had a video camera nearby....priceless.
| Story hour continues even today.... |
Connie, you said it "PRICELESS". Love, Joanne
ReplyDeleteSo sweet!
ReplyDelete