Sunday, November 25, 2012

And The Legacy Begins...

Our beloved Granty passsed away tonight - - - he was in my arms and sighed just like his normal self.    We know he's in a better place, and without a doubt, there was a line waiting to hold and play with our beautiful baby boy.  He held on until the very end, proving his heart was stronger than anyone ever imagined.

Damon and I are so lucky to have experienced the past five months with Grant.  His sunny disposition, infectious smile and angelic eyes are forever in my heart and mind.  I have so many good memories of the time I spent with Grant, and I wouldn't trade a moment of the past five-months for anything.  He made our family complete, and he's already a part of each of us.  We definitely have a guardian angel, and Damon and I put in a special request to Granty that he watch out for his big sister Alexa....D & I need all of the help we can get :)

This blog will not end today.  My little boy taught me more than I will ever be able to relay, but I am going to ensure that I do everything I can to continue to lessons he taught me.  Granty will never be forgotten.

One thing is for certain - I know that I will never see another giraffe without thinking of my precious baby boy.

Our Little Superman.




42 comments:

  1. Damon, Connie, Alexa, Vernon, Carol, Vince, Gia, Andrew, Lukey, and Niehoff Family- We are thinking of you and sending our love. This is the most difficult, crushing, surreal experience, and we can't make it go away. Please know that Grant has left his imprint in the sand, and in our hearts. Love, Leon, Cheryl and Family

    ReplyDelete
  2. We knew this day was inevitable but we just cant stop our tears from flowing. We are so sorry for the loss of your beautiful baby boy. Grant made this world a better place and now he has left this world for a better place. Know your entire family is in our thoughts and prayers now and always. I too, Connie, will never look at another giraffe without thinkning of you angel Granty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Damon, Connie, Alexa, and all of the family that has kept Grant in our hearts and minds, I want to send my most heartfelt sympathies. I know that the 24 hour vigil has to have been physically and emotionally draining and cannot imagine the waves of feelings you must be experiencing at this time. Please remember that you have an army of friends and family that empathize with your loss. It's times like this that we are all drawn closer together.

    Even though Grant's life was all too short, I think it's safe to say that the strength, courage, and perseverance that Grant and yourselves have shown have been an inspiration to us all. It's truly amazing that someone who was with us for such a short time could have a lifetime's worth of impact and inspiration on so many people.

    All my love, Peter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Connie, Damon & Alexa - my heart goes out to you all. Grant will live on within all of you and will definitely act as your guardian angel. He was a blessing from God and will be missed. You are in our thoughts and prayers. Love, Rose, Roxann and Sydney

    ReplyDelete
  5. Connie, I'm so sorry for the loss of your precious baby boy. We visited the giraffes at the St. Louis Zoo today in honor of Grant, and my sister will run in the St. Judes Children's Hospital 5K this weekend with her giraffe gear in honor of Grant. We think of you and your family all the time, and the legacy of Grant will forever live on in all our hearts and minds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Connie, Damon, Alexa, and everyone from both sides of your families, we are so incredibly and deeply sorry. Grant's legacy will live on - most importantly through you, but also through everyone who has been lucky enough to be inspired by your sweet Granty. You are right - he will be the most beautiful, caring, and loving guardian angel - for all of you. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
    All of our love,
    Jen, Mike, Matthew, Jarrod, and Josh Searle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our hearts ache for all of you. We can only imagine the pain and sadness that you are feeling. I wish I was there so I could hug the three of you because there are no words to express how very sorry we are. Granty will live on in all of us. His existence reminded us of how nothing else matters but love. You both make us so proud. Your beautiful words to express your feelings, as well as your never ending love, strength, and courage are traits we should all strive for. Granty was lucky to have you in his life. It was evident why he fought so hard to stay with us. Grant, our little champ will be in our hearts forever. I think "giraffes" will be a new gift for all of our children, a reminder of a strong beautiful little boy which i know we will all meet again someday. We love you. Aunty Gail and Uncle Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Cousins,

    We are so, so sorry to hear about our little angel Granty going to heaven. He was such sweet, strong, brave and beautiful little boy. May you try and find some peace and comfort knowing he is in a much better place now......free of pain and suffering. God will take care good care of his new little angel.

    Please know that you all are in our thoughts and our prayers. We cannot wait to see you so we can wrap our loving arms around you and hold you tight.

    May God bless you all and may Grant finally rest in peace.

    We love you,
    Cousins Colleen and Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  9. we are so very sorry for this heartbreaking loss. sending you all our love and healing. sweet grant is watching over you now. brady, nithya & maya

    ReplyDelete
  10. Connie and family,

    I am so sorry for your loss. You are in our thoughts and prayers. The grace and love you shared with everyone through your blog has been inspiring. I pray you find peace during this difficult time.

    Thinking of you,

    Kelly Mock and family

    ReplyDelete
  11. Damon, Connie and Alexa

    So sorry for your loss. Know that we are all praying for you guys during this sad time. Connie, thanks for sharing your loving words as you travel through this journey. You are inspirational! Know that there are lots of people who are thinking of you here in St Louis!

    Prayers and hugs your way

    The Mitchell's

    ReplyDelete
  12. Connie, I am so very sorry to hear about Grant. Ariyonna and I will continue to keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers. Thank you for sharing your journey with us and allowing us to see what an amazing little guy Grant was.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Christine Winkeler MannerNovember 26, 2012 at 4:53 AM

    Connie, I am so sorry. Grant seems like he was amazing little man. You and your family will coninue to be in my thoughts and prayers. What a very loved little boy. No words can express how truly sorry I am for you and your family. Christine

    ReplyDelete
  14. So so sorry for your loss! You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers! Thank you for allowing us the privilege of following along your family's beautiful and heart wrenching journey. We will forever be changed! Sending our love and prayers from Jacksonville Florida,
    Maggie and family

    ReplyDelete
  15. My heart is breaking for all of you. I can't imagine the loss you must feel. I'm so sorry. You will all be in my thoughts and prayers in the coming weeks.

    Fly to Jesus, sweet Grant.

    Sean, Laurie, Luke and Johnny Mehew

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so sorry for your loss. Your family will continue to stay in my prayers.
    Christina (Forti) Wojtkowski

    ReplyDelete
  17. Connie, Damon and my dear Alexa,
    My heart is broken for you all. Grant made an impact on my life the first day I met him, to babysitt. I too will never look at another giraffe without thinking of him. Your lives will never be the same as you have a beautiful angel looking over you all now. All my love, thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time. Please give my little girl lots of love for me. I love you all!xoxo
    Miss Hali

    ReplyDelete
  18. Connie-
    I know there are no words to comfort your family during this difficult time. Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Lauri

    ReplyDelete
  19. Connie, Damon, and Alexa,

    My heart aches for you all. Grant has inspired so many people. He was loved by so many people.
    Even though we are hundreds of miles away, know that the Hoeing clan is sending you love, support, and prayers. We will be here waiting to greet you all at Christmas with open arms.
    Connie, your blog has been a true testament to a mother's everlasting love for her son. Your strength you have shown is a lesson for all mothers. Grant not only touched our lives, but you did as well.
    Grant will surely look down on his big sister and on his amazing parents. You have one special little angel in heaven. He will be greatly missed.
    We love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Connie, Damon and Alexa,

    Our hearts are heavy today. I am so incredibly sorry for your loss. We are praying for you and sending all of our love. Grant - through his incredible mommy's blog - has been such an inspiration. Even though we never got to meet I know from these posts what an amazing little boy he was. We love you.

    David & Meg Brown

    ReplyDelete
  21. ”The love we hold back is the only pain that follows us here”. Always.
    We are humbled by the love, strength, courage, and grace you have shared so eloquently. Your beloved son will live on in our hearts and actions. You honored our son, Tommy, by choosing him as God Father. I cannot put into words how this has touched him. I know he will live up to this sacred gift.
    Your sweet little boy will be in our constant thoughts and prayers, teaching us to never hold back love. Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dear Connie, Damon and Alexa:
    i am so sorry for your loss, my sympathies are with you and your family. I know you will miss Granty so much, but treasure the time that he was with you all.
    Sincere sympathy,
    Barb Bayersdorffer

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dear Connie and family,

    My heart breaks for you all. May God bless you with peace and comfort during this difficult time. Grant is a blessing to you and your family, and he has also touched the lives of more than you know. Connie, I am inspired by courage and grace. I will pray that God continues to give you the strength you need each and every day.

    Love,
    Bev (Poelker) Shupe

    ReplyDelete
  24. Our hearts our aching on this very sad day. We know that you were comforted as you held him tightly in your arms. Beautiful baby Grant so precious and dear will be remembered and loved forever.
    Keeping you and your family in our thoughts,
    Mike and Sue

    ReplyDelete
  25. Connie I want to thank you for making me a better person by your daily strength, courage and love you have shown to this beautiful boy. My prayers are with you all and I am certain Grant's travels to Heaven were as beautiful as one could ever imagined.. YOU and your husband made that happen...May God continue to bless you and your family as you now deal with Grant's final journey home to God.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am so sorry for you all. As so many have said already, you and your story have been so inspirational. Connie, you are a testament to the wonder of a mother's love. You showed us all how to be grateful for the time we have with our loved ones and that is one beautiful legacy of Grant's life. Thank you and please know that you and your family are close in my thoughts. Love, Amy Descovich

    ReplyDelete
  27. Connie and family,
    We are truly sorry for your loss and pray that your family will continue to stay strong and resolute through this difficult time. Grant's favorite animal may have been the giraffe but he fought with the heart of a lion.
    With deepest sympathy,
    The Becker Family

    ReplyDelete
  28. We are sad beyond words,but we know your little Angel-Grant has implanted you with Strength,courage and resilience that will sustain you.
    Love Skip & Madeline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damon, Connie and Alexa,
      I am very sorry for your loss and will always remember Granty in my heart.. You are two very strong parents and I praise you for your courage and strength through this difficult time. You will continue to be in our prayers and thoughts.
      Love,
      Elizabeth

      Delete
  29. even though this day was going to come, it is still incredibly sad and heart breaking. grant has really brought the best gift of all...reminding us how precious life is and how important family is. he will be greatly missed but always remembered.

    love the pressutti family

    ReplyDelete
  30. Dear Connie,
    God Bless you and give you and your husband Damon and sweet little girl Alexa all that you need in these days ahead.
    Grant was blessed to be born into such a loving family. We know he will be forever with you.

    Sending our love. Please know you will remain in our prayers. Pam and Russ

    ReplyDelete
  31. Our hearts are so incredibly sad at the loss of your sweet baby boy Grant. We are sending you all of our love and prayers. Your strength and bravery during this very difficult time has awed us. You are both truly amazing parents. You now have a guardian angel in heaven watching you. All of our love and prayers
    Leo and Catherine Flores.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Our deepest sympathies are with you. You will forever have a sweet little angel looking over you. Even though we never had the pleasure of meeting little Grant, he has touched our hearts. Thank you for inspiring so many of us. Sending lots of love and prayers from StL. - Sara and Jeff (Lawrence)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Damon, Connie and family,

    We are so very sorry for your loss. Although I never met Grant, it is obvious you all were blessed with an amazing little angel. Please know you all are in our thoughts and Prayers. God Bless....

    Love,
    Alli (Haroutian) Taroli and family

    ReplyDelete
  34. Connie and family,

    My deepest sympathy to all of you. Your little Grant will continue to live through every life that was blessed to have a part of his! May the strength that your beautiful baby boy possessed be a part of all of our lives. May he rest in eternal peace and comfort, and when his little spirit is ready he'll probably be out watching the giraffes on a beautiful savannah! Love and prayers to you. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  35. My deepest condolences go out to everyone in your family! It's a tragic yet inspiring story of strength and the true power of unconditional love. Although I'm not super close to your family, nor did I meet and experience Grant's awesome presence in person, I've been deeply touched by following y'all in this journey of hardship. May Grant rest in peace and forever be watching over you.
    -Brad Downs

    ReplyDelete
  36. Our hearts are breaking for you and your family. There are not words to adequately describe our sorrow for the loss of your beautiful baby boy. Larry and I are honored that you took the time to share the story of Grant's illness and his fight to get well. While we did not know Grant well, we feel blessed to have known your little Superman and the story of his brave and well fought battle.

    Our prayers are with you all during your time of loss and healing.

    Sandra and Larry Kush

    ReplyDelete
  37. Connie, Damon, and my Alexa Bear

    I have just heard the devastating news and words cannot express how much my heart is breaking for you all at this moment. Connie, I will never forget your beautiful glow each and every day when you picked up Alexa from After Care while you were pregnant with Granty. My wish is that I was able to meet this wonderful, tough little guy. Your family has always been an inspiration to me, and even now more than ever as you endured the toughest 5 months of your lives. It is my strong conviction that your memories of Grant will give you peace and comfort for the years to come. Though I wasn’t fortunate to meet Grant before he passed, he, as well as your entire family will always have a place in my heart. My prayers go out to you all during this difficult time.

    All my love,
    Miss Belle

    ReplyDelete
  38. Connie,
    I am so sorry for your loss! Your family will continue to be in my prayers!
    Stay strong,
    Ali (Frede) Rankey

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thank you for sharing Grant’s journey with us. He clearly was loved by all those lucky enough to meet him. His courageous struggle and determination both inspire and serve as a reminder of just how precious and fragile life is.

    My deepest condolences to you, Damon, and Alexa and I wish you peace and strength during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Connie and Damon and families,

    We are so sorry for your loss and words cannot express how truly saddened we are that this day had come.
    We were hoping for a miracle for little Granty, however God must have had his own plan for him. You have amazed us with your resolve and courage as you faced this battle head on. I am sure I speak for a lot of people when I say that you have inspired all of us that have followed your journey.

    You are and will always be in our hearts and prayers.

    Love, Cousin Karren and Melissa, and Sandusky family.


    ReplyDelete
  41. Connie, I just became aware of all this in the last week. What can anyone say other than how heartbreaking all this is. God bless you for sharing this experience with all of us on this blog, and thank you for being as strong and positive as you are. The world was lucky to have Grant for the short time he was here, but he was extremely lucky to have you, Damon, and Alexa for that time. You and your family are in our hearts. Love (your cousin) Joe and family

    ReplyDelete