Thursday, November 15, 2012

Mr. Minky

The chemo seemed to wear off today, as Grant was much more alert and lively compared to the previous two days.  I know Damon and I wish he could sleep as well at night as he does during the day, but Grant was struggling to get comfortable last night.  I'm not sure if it's the placement of the broviac (it's shifted up a bit due to where the dressing was taped), but he would not lay on his stomach - his normal position - last night.  Damon and I did a lot of rocking with him laying on his back, positioned on our legs.  Thankfully, I finally got him to go to sleep around 5:15am, a whopping 15 minutes before my alarm was scheduled :)  Oh well...it could be a lot worse.  We'll catch up on sleep when the kiddos are teenagers - haha.

During Grant's initial hospitalization at Phoenix Children's, he became a 'pacifier kid' overnight, quickly adopting the Nuk pacifiers as a soothing mechanism.  After several rounds of chemo, he gave up the pacifier cold-turkey, likely due to a change in taste from the medication.  He has since developed a new soothing mechanism - minky blankets.  This little guy is a sucker for soft, luxe blankets, and he is happiest when burrowing into one of them.  It's pretty amazing the power that this minky texture holds - - he can be tossing & turning one minute, and as soon as a minky blanket enters the fray, he immediately cuddles up to it and calms himself.  You know life isn't too bad when a soft blanket can make everything better!

Relaxing in the chair - never far from minky blankets.
Cuddling up with the giraffe blankie (& Dad).
Checking his grip on the the blankie - he won't let it go!

2 comments:

  1. I imagine lots of trips to zoos and safaris.. where Grant will share a special language with the giraffes. Your attitude is the greatest inspiration. Your daily mails start each morning with a smile, lots of love, and prayers for Grant and his big, beautiful family.

    Love,
    Auntie Ani

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your attitude and GRANT are the greatest inspirations.

    Love,
    Auntie Ani

    ReplyDelete