Saturday, November 17, 2012

Back in the ICU

Unfortunately we've had a setback in Grant's condition, and he has been admitted to the ICU at Phoenix Children's again.  Yesterday we had noticed the "sunsetting" (I had called it drooping, but I've picked up on the medical jargon) of his eyes, and this morning I noticed that Grant was not reaching for any toys and did not appear to see anything.  I called the Oncology line, and the doctor on-call advised me to bring him to the ER because she was concerned about the pressure on this brain.

At the ER, they noticed his eyes were unresponsive to light and saw swelling of his fontanel (soft spot) and immediately ordered a CT scan.  Damon and I have already met with the neurosurgeon, and he has diagnosed the condition as hydrocephalus.  The ventricles in Grant's brain have swelled, and spinal fluid is not draining properly.  Grant is scheduled for surgery tomorrow (Sunday) at 8:30am, and the neurosurgeon is going to insert a shunt in the back of his brain.  The shunt is essentially a tube that will run from his brain, down through his neck and into his stomach; the fluid will go directly into his stomach and relieve the pressure in his brain.

The hydrocephalus is not necessarily as sign that the tumor has grown; the neurosurgeon said there can be so many causes and it may not even be related to the size of the tumor.  He did mention the "sunsetting" of the eyes should disappear within hours of surgery, but we have no idea if there will be a lasting effect upon Grant's vision.

I'm sure we'll learn a lot more in the coming days (the PICU doctor did say I could pass for a third year resident with my acquired medical knowledge :)), and I will definitely update the blog accordingly.  Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers and hope that this is just a temporary, not permanent setback for Grant the Champ!

Resting comfortably tonight - and still clutching his beloved giraffe blankie.
Having no problem adjusting to the crib at the hospital.

9 comments:

  1. Oh no poor grant.... And poor mama and daddy. I think about you guys often and I will def say a prayer tomorrow morning. Good luck and GO GRANT THE CHAMP!!!!
    Lovies,
    Nikki pell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man! Darn it. Your little boy has touched us with his will. we pray for your strentgh and for Grants health. He is never far from our thoughts. God Bless and KEEP you all safe. Grant ,Alexa, Connie and Damon you are in our prayers. Love and bacheegs, Philip and Florence

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry my Grant is not feeling well! I will keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers during this rough time! My boyfriend needs to feel better :)!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooof...I'm glad you took him in so quickly. When I saw his photo yesterday, I thought that something might be amiss. We are so sorry that you have to go through all of this. It makes my stomach turn just reading, so I can only imagine what this latest episode is doing to you. Here's hoping for a good outcome. God Bless that little guy.
    Love and Peace, Cheryl and Leon

    ReplyDelete
  5. To Our Grant the Champ, hang in there little buddy. This is just a minor setback, but we know you will pull through. We love you so much and pray for you daily. Damon, Connie & Alexa, you are so strong and amazing, we are all behind you 100%.

    All our love,

    Andrew, Gia & Luke

    ReplyDelete
  6. sending prayers & love for a successful surgery today. thinking of you all! xo nithya, brady & maya

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christine Winkeler MannerNovember 18, 2012 at 8:51 AM

    Connie - I'm keeping up with Grant and his progress and saying prayers for all of you everyday. You are amazingly strong and I know that rubs off on Alexa and Grant. Thinking of you often and praying for great news for you all! Christine (Winkeler) Manner

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're with you, and are praying for our sweet boy and family.

    Love,
    Armenio, Ani, Sophene and Daron

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a long process and so many "what if's?" Please know that all of you are in our prayers each day. I do know that there is one constant, Grants Mommy and Daddy love him very much. I'm sure he is very content as long as he has your love and of course his cuddly giraffe blankie. We are so proud of both of you and admire your strength and courage. We are so very thankful that you have great doctors and nurses that have a plan as well. Hang In There. We love you. Auntie Gail and Uncle Bruce

    ReplyDelete