Last night was a rough night for Grant, as his recovery from the shunt surgery has not been as quick and easy as we had (probably way too optimistically) hoped. The PICU staff has mentioned that neuro cases are the toughest in terms of pain management and finding the right balance and combination of meds. They're still trying to find that balance for the little guy...
Grant's heart rate has been extremely high (220+ beats per minute versus a normal 120-160 range), and this rapid rate has baffled the entire PICU medical team. I think nearly every doctor and nurse was in Grant's room at some point last night, trying to hypothesize what was causing the condition, as it's opposite of what they see in most brain tumor patients. He's had chest x-rays, an EKG and is scheduled for a lot more tests today.
Unfortunately an accelerated heart rate is usually a sign of pain, but Grant's not showing too many other signs - he's not crying or thrashing around. He definitely has a long day ahead, so please keep sending positive thoughts and praying for my little guy. I will continue to update the blog throughout the day for any changes in his condition.
I just read your update. I don't know what to say. Just know you are all in my thoughts and prayers ever minute of everyday. Love to all Florence
ReplyDeleteOh, this is so scarry for all of you. We all feel so helpless. Please know that we continue to pray for our little champ and hope he will be a little more comfortable. Praying and hoping for whatever it takes to to get through today and everyday. Kiss the little guy for me. Auntie Gail
ReplyDeleteHeavenly Father and Lord Jesus Christ, I ask that you hold Baby Grant, his sister and his parents in your loving arms and heal them. Thank you Father, your servant Jeanne McIntyre
ReplyDeleteOur Dear, Dear Cousins....What can we say to you? May God grant you all the strength you need to get through these difficult times and hold Grant in his arms and keep him safe. We're sending all our support, love and endless prayers to all of you. We love you!! Cousins Marlene and Colleen
ReplyDeleteConnie, it's your cousin Sara from St. Louis. Erica has been keeping me informed of Grant's brave fight to beat this. Since I learned the news, not a day goes by I don't think of the four of you. My husband Brad, my friends, my co-workers, and of course the family and I are praying to God and all the saints. I can not imagine your pain, but I do know it is great, and I hope the love and prayers across the country are finding you all. We will continue to hold you in our hearts Baby Grant, and lift up our prayers to heaven. Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
ReplyDelete