Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Holiday Spirit

Wow - this is tough.  Damon and I have been staying busy planning various elements of the funeral services, but whenever there's a lapse in activity, my mind goes immediately to our little boy.  Just seeing his picture today made me tear up....Friday's going to be rough.

Alexa is definitely a nice distraction for all of us.  It's a harsh reality to have to explain death to a three-year-old in unambiguous terms.  The other night when we told her that Granty had died, she responded by asking me if I had another baby in my tummy.  Oye :)  She misses her brother dearly and asks about him and why he died, but she quickly changes focus to something else.  Alexa is a huge fan of holiday decorations (she doesn't care what holiday), so my father-in-law was kind enough to purchase a Christmas tree while he was in town.  It's been a never-ending decorating process, and Alexa is loving every minute of it.  The house is a mess of glitter and decor, but it is nice to be reminded of the holiday spirit.

In going through all the photos today, I found some from a couple months back that capture the big sister role Alexa cherished so much.  She knows the book "Purplelicious" by rote, so she decided to 'read' to Granty one night before bed (she had taken a bath - hence the lack of clothing).  Ahh....I'm going to miss this.


A captive audience.




11 comments:

  1. I find it hard to believe that this perfect baby is no longer with us. The holidays are going to be hard, no doubt, but your family and friends will hold you up and you will make it through. This Christmas and every Christmas to come, Grant will be the angel atop the tree, smiling down on the parents who loved him so much. But this Christmas and every Christmas to come, he will be deeply missed.

    By the way, I heard back on the request that the newborn giraffe be assigned to Grant's name. They said that the baby giraffe isn't available for adoption, rather it is his mother whom we have adopted. Very fitting. The girls and I look forward to making a trip to the zoo very soon to see Grant's giraffe and her baby.

    Love to all of you.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet Connie! You and your family are in my daily thoughts and prayers.
    ----Maggie :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your grace continues to awe me. As I was driving home from work tonight, I was presented with the most beautiful Arizona sunset...amazing shades of orange...like a giraffe. It made me smile. Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Precious children, precious memories, precious family.
    Mishd miaseen. Together forever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Connie - you have been able to convey such a loving presence which allowed all readers of Grant's blog to share his angelic journey and the special moments as well as extraordinary challenges the family faced daily. Even though I've been traveling internationally during the last month, you all never were far from my thoughts as I checked the blog whenever possible. On a couple of occasions, I took a moment to light candles for Grant & the family in churches along my path ... Notre Dame Basilica in Montreal Canada and most recently last Thursday in a little church in London's Covent Garden. Because of your blog, Grant's light accompanied me wherever I traveled. May it bring some comfort to the family to know that your adorable courageous little champ has had such an impact on so many of us.
    With love & gratitude for letting us travel this heartfelt journey with you,
    Eileen O.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karon Margosian PennyNovember 28, 2012 at 1:59 AM

    My thougths and prayers are with you and your families. May god bless and keep you close.
    Karon

    ReplyDelete
  7. YOU are truly amazing....You continue to move on and as much as a holiday spirit is difficult at this time in your lives, you look at it with such an attitude by keeping it alive for Alexa who loves it so much....you continue to inspire me with your strength.......May God be with you as you bring your little man to his final resting place and may God bless you all!!!! I continue to pray!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a friend and co-worker of Steve Edwards who's daughter Amanda works with Damon and my understanding is that you have had her watch your daughter while you have been with your beautiful Grant. You don't know me but that really doesn't matter. When Steve passed along the link to the blog a week or so ago I started including Grant and your family in our prayers. Those prayers and positive thoughts will continue from Southern California for quite some time and I can only hope that they make their way to you in AZ. Your writing is beautiful and the strength you possess to actually put these thoughts into words is a true blessing and hopefully it provides you some comfort. No parent should bear the pain of their child passing but you have handled it with dignity and strength. Be safe in your travels to Fresno and know you have people you don't even know pulling for the three of you. God bless...Jean West, Huntington Beach, CA

    ReplyDelete
  9. Connie you really are AMAZING! I am in such awe of the strength that you and Damon have had from the very beginning. Dave and I are thinking about you guys every day and sending you lots of warm hugs.-Maggie Guaresimo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Connie, your strength continues to amaze me. You truly are an incredible role model for us all. Your grace and will to try to keep things as "normal" as possible for Alexa is wonderful. Know that we think of you all on a daily basis. I will say extra prayers on Friday as Grant is laid to rest. I'm sorry we can't be there to offer our support, but we are sending it to you long distance.

    ReplyDelete