Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Reality Check

It's really happening....Damon, Alexa and I made the flight to Fresno this afternoon.  As soon as we landed, we had to rush over to the newspaper's office to ensure they published Grant's obituary in the Thursday paper (talk about a frustrating process....oye!).  The Fresno obituary was the last major component that needed to fall in place; everything else pretty well-organized.  I think I have checked the FedEx site about 20x today to make sure the shipments of the programs, photos and stuffed giraffes are on-time :)

Writing Grant's obituary was a much tougher assignment than I ever expected - - it's very tough to capture the essence of this magnificent little boy in 3" of newspaper text.  I had to create some very abridged versions for publications in the Fresno Bee and St. Louis Post-Dispatch, but I've included the full-length version below. 

It's still unbelievable to me that I had to create an obituary for my son....we'll get through this though & come out stronger than we were before!

Hovannisian, Grant Vartkes ("Granty")
Born to Connie and Damon on June 3rd, 2012, Grant passed away on November 25th 2012, in his mother’s arms.  In his short five months of life, Grant inspired many with his sunny disposition, angelic eyes and perpetual smile despite the challenges he faced.  He taught everyone lessons of love, life and family.  In addition to his parents, Grant leaves behind an adoring sister Alexa, maternal grandparents Gene and Kathy Niehoff, and fraternal grandparents Vernon and Carol Hovannisian.  He is also survived by his aunts and uncles, Karen Storer, Steve and Carolyn Niehoff, Terri and Larry Holzen, Julie and Eric Huss, Gia and Andrew Kazarian, and Vincent Hovannisian.  Grant’s spirit will also live in his cousins Christian and Marie Storer, Abby and Katie Niehoff, Mara and Xavier Holzen, Maren Huss and Luke Kazarian.  Our beloved “Granty” was never without a smile or his giraffe blankie.  We will never see another giraffe without thinking of our precious little boy.  He will live in our hearts and minds forever.  A funeral service will be held at Holy Trinity Armenian Apostolic Church in Fresno, California, Friday, November 30, 2012, at 11:00 a.m.  In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made in Grant's name to the Phoenix Children's Hospital Foundation - online at www.phoenixchildrens.com or 2929 East Camelback Road, Ste 122 Phoenix, AZ 85016. 

8 comments:

  1. Oh Connie and Damon,
    I still can't believe it is happening either. But your love and strength in these times is just amazing. Granty will never be forgotten - his legacy, his spirit, everything about him will live on. While I didn't typically see giraffes before Grant, I seem to see them everywhere now... I think he likes it that way.
    We are praying for you and sending you light, prayers, strength and comfort as you go through the next few days, and really, forever.
    Love,
    Jen, Mike, Matthew, Josh and Jarrod Searle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine Winkeler MannerNovember 29, 2012 at 4:55 AM

    Beautifully written, Connie! I know this must be such a difficult time for you all. I'm praying for comfort and peace for you all through these very tough days. And I, too, keep seeing giraffes everywhere and thinking of Grant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't know where you get this strength from Connie but obviously Grant is sitting on your shoulder helping you... May God continue to bless you all as you lay him to rest tomorrow...Praying for for continued strength from our dear Lord...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Connie you will get through it. You are proving to me you are a very strong women, who I am proud to know and love. Big hug to all of you. You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is unbelievable that you would need to write an obituary for your child, but you wrote a beautiful one. I know tomorrow will be incredibly difficult, but I am happy you will be surrounded by so many people who love you. Our prayers continue to be with you and your family. Love, Molly, Jim, and the boys

    ReplyDelete
  6. Connie,
    Everyday when I read your blog I think how amazing you are (Damon too)
    We will be thinking & praying for you all tomorrow.
    Love,
    The Mantione Family

    ReplyDelete
  7. Connie and family,
    Although tomorrow will be hard for you and your family, I'm sure little Grants beautiful spirit will be shining strong and he will be thanking you all for the strength, courage, and most of all the tremendous amount of love you all gave him during his five months he was blessed with you! Much love to you and your family! He was such a little angel, I was blessed to have met him those times when he was in the hospital and rub his little feet! So darn cute!!!
    Love, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Damon, Connie & Alexa, Although Mike and I cannot be with you in this difficult time we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. My heart breaks for what you are experiencing and also for the grandparents. Our love and prayers to all. Michael & Joanne

    ReplyDelete