Saturday, November 24, 2012

Granty's Giraffe

Alstott the puggle is no longer the only pet of the Hovannisian family; today Grant became a Zoo Parent to a reticulated giraffe at the St. Louis Zoo.  It seemed like a very appropriate tribute to our little Granty, as the giraffe has evolved his mascot during the past five months.  I have always loved the St. Louis Zoo, so I'm looking forward to taking Alexa there when we're in town for Christmas.  I'm sure we'll spend more time than ever before in the African Savanna habitat.  I'll find out the giraffe's name (it should be on the adoption papers) so the St. Louis contingency can seek out Granty's giraffe on the next visit to the zoo.  Our little guy will have a lasting legacy at the zoo, as we'll make sure he adopts a giraffe each year.

Grant continues to redefine the word "perseverance" and is ignoring what the vital signs say 'should' be happening.  He's extremely weak, but his heart is proving to be stronger than anyone imagined.  I think it's becoming the most "unsurprising surprise" for the PICU team to see us each shift, as Grant's reputation is preceding him.  I used to think I was stubborn, but Grant's taking it to a whole new echelon.

12 comments:

  1. Connie, I had to laugh at your last comment on today's update. Hope to see you at Christmas. Peter says hello and wishes you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still holding a candle for a miracle...
    Aunt Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a trip to St. Louis is in my future to see the zoo and his giraffe. Much love to you all!!!
    Miss Hali

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with what Aunt Nancy said - I'm still hoping and praying for a miracle.
    Xoxo
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. And now Grant has adopted a giraffe at the Brookfield Zoo as well. The girls and I will look forward to visiting the Savanna and seeing his giraffe. I put in a special request that they assign the newborn giraffe to Grant. Sweet boy. Such an inspiration.

    All my love to all of you.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has one at the Houston zoo too. I pray for a healing heart for you. So sorry for this tragedy.

      Delete
  6. Oh Connie, a fitting tribute to Grant. I believe your baby giraffe is Desi; the boys and I visit often- the snakes and giraffes are always the "must sees". That little guy is always close by his momma.

    There is a very special bond a mother shares with their child even before he is born. His heart beat can mirror your own and he can distinctly recognize your voice, your scent, or even the way you walk into a room shortly after he is born. I know in my heart, God hears all the prayers for you and for Grant. I believe Grant is feeding off the power of his bond with you. He could never want to leave you. I will continue to pray your time together lasts. And however long that may be, he surely will always be near your heart.

    I love you cuz. Kisses and hugs.

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet tribute for a sweet little boy. Not only does Grant amaze us, but Connie & Damon, you have amazed & inspired everyone beyond belief. Both of your outlooks & attitudes have been eye-opening to hundreds of people that know and love you. Grant's whole experience has taught people a lesson of what's important in life and how powerful love can be. I am so proud of both of you. You are a true team and the most loving and compassionate parents Alexa & Grant could ask for.

    Hang in there and know that you have support near & far.

    Hugs & kisses,

    Andrew, Gia & Luke

    ReplyDelete
  8. All the comments are so well said and so heartfelt...You guys are TRULY amazing and inspiring.....Grant has taught us all so much through his parents strength which he has also given to each one of us who read the daily updates of this precious little angel. May God continue to bless you all....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Completely amazing, your strength and words are beyond meaningful. Your angel will forever be in my heart. Hugs, Krissy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bless little Grant, may he stay as long as his spirit decides to do so!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Connie and Damon,

    I just found out today about little Grant. My heart goes out to you and I am truly at a loss for words. I can't even imagine what you and your family have been going through these last few months. It is apparent that you have alot of friends and family that have supported you through this tough time and I know that your precious little boy is so very lucky to have such wonderful parents such as you. He is so adorable and I know that your love for your little cherub is endless. I pray that God will continue to give you strength and I just want you to know that I am thinking of all of you. Take care and God bless.
    Fondly, Jayne

    ReplyDelete