June 3, 2012 - - - my beloved Grant is born.
There Are No Words....
There are no words that can capture the joy
Damon and I felt when Grant entered our lives in the early morning of June 3rd,
2012. When I first laid eyes on my
little boy, I remember exclaiming, “He looks just like Alexa!”, as Damon looked
at me like I was crazy that I was able to find a resemblance in a boy who
wasn’t even 10 seconds old. It was love
instantly.
There are no words that can describe the
completeness that Grant brought to our family.
At the ultrasound in which we found out I was carrying a boy, I remember
how Damon’s ears literally perked up at the news - - he had his ‘variety
pack’…a girl and a boy. I will never
forget how excited Alexa was to meet her beloved baby brother, and, after she
got over the initial disappointment that he wasn’t “big” or an instant playmate,
she immediately embraced her big sister role and coined the name “Granty.” We were a perfect family of four.
There are no words that can adequately
describe the joy Grant brought to our lives.
Although we had a few all-nighters and drives around Scottsdale at 3am,
Granty had a fantastic disposition and was a very easy baby. He loved bathtime, and if Alexa wasn’t
helping me give him a bath, that usually meant she had crammed herself into his
baby bathtub so that she and Granty could take a bath together. Grant helped to complete our family dynamic,
and he could usually be heard happily babbling in his monkey bouncy seat or
squawking loudly if he didn’t feel he was getting enough attention. Since Damon was usually at work, Alexa, Grant
and I had developed our nightly routine, and it became more fun and interactive
the older Grant became. Alexa and I
would play with Granty, hold him up to make him dance or joke about him eating
her food while she’d pretend to drink his formula. When he learned to sit in the Bumbo seat,
Grant was usually perched in the center of the table while we would eat
dinner. We would laugh, make him coo and
sing songs Alexa had learned that day in school. Pure joy.
There were no words needed to elicit one of
my favorite responses from Grant. Oftentimes
when I would lean in to kiss my baby boy, I would begin with an “Ahhh” to let
him know I was coming in for a kiss. He
quickly developed a conditioned response to hearing the “Ahhh”, and it didn’t
matter if I was across the room or right next to him, I could always count on
my Granty boy to open his mouth and ready himself to return my kiss. This simple sound always elicited the same
response and brought a smile to my face and proudness in my heart.
There are no words to describe the
devastation and grief that Damon and I felt on the night of September 27th,
when Grant was first diagnosed with a brain tumor. However, as if to assure us everything would
be okay, Grant continued to be his normal cheerful self, charming all nurses he
met and quickly tagging himself as the most popular patient in PICU. His sunny disposition continued to provide
strength and support for Damon and myself, and on the morning of his biopsy, he
busted into a bout of laughter unlike anything we’d heard from him before. The sound of his laugh is imprinted in my
mind, and just thinking about his sweet giggle brings a smile to my face. After all he went through - - surgeries,
lumbar punctures, blood draws and chemo - - I can honestly say that my Granty
never had a bad day. His personality was
effervescent and his smile was infectious.
Being with Grant made me happy, and I soaked up every minute I could
spend with my little ‘Mommy’s boy.’
Grant needed no words to make a lasting
impact upon the world. The blog
initially began as a site in which I could keep everyone informed of Grant’s
condition, but Grant himself, not my words, turned it into so much more. My cousin Sara said it best: “How incredible
that such a sweet boy who never uttered a single word could be one of the best
teachers of life’s greatest lessons?”
The lessons my beloved Granty taught us are too numerous to count: not
sweating the small stuff in life, the value of family, maintaining a positive
disposition even in the toughest situations…the list goes on and on. Grant was living his life to the fullest, and
through the chronicling of his daily activities and vivacious personality, he
inspired hundreds, if not thousands, of people.
Grant provided a new perspective on life, one rooted in hope, faith,
family, and, most importantly, love.
Grant was love.
There are no words to explain the sadness and
emptiness that we feel in our hearts for the loss of our beloved Granty. I miss my baby boy – the snuggling, his
angelic eyes, the babbling, his smile, his kisses, seeing him clutch his
beloved giraffe blankie – more than I can ever describe. This void in my heart
will never disappear, but I am determined to preserve the legacy of this
amazing and magnificent boy. His spirit will always be with me, and he will
always be in the forefront of my mind. I
have a new-found love of giraffes, Granty’s official mascot, and will always
think of my precious boy whenever I see one.
In his 175 days of life, Grant made me a better person, a better wife
and a better mother.
There will be no words needed when I see my
beloved Granty again. I’ll simply say,
“Ahhh” and wait for his kiss.
|
that Was beautiful! I look forward to more blog updates of you telling more stories of Grant! you have truly touched me deeply, and have inspired me to be a different person. I truly admire you and your strength. I will always keep you and your family in my daily thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDeleteJane Tiller
This absolutely made me cry. What a heart-felt rememberance of your beautiful little boy. He is watching over all of you and thriving still because of the love that you showed him. I will continue to pray for all of you.
ReplyDeleteBeautifully written. Grant definitely has made a lasting impact on everyone who has read your blog. Kelly and I went to the zoo tonight and I was hoping to see some giraffes; however, that area was closed. Hope to visit them soon in honor of Grant. Thought of you guys all day and will continue to keep you in my prayers.
ReplyDeleteYou continue to take my breath away with your strength and grace. Gwen
ReplyDeletedang it crying again!!!!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for sharing your story on this blog. Checking in on Granty really became part of my day! As was expressed today, Grant and your family have touched so many lives. He has reminded us of our priorities. I am so sorry your family had to go thru this today.
We love you guys,
Nikki and Michael Pell
Beautifully said Connie! The rain must be a sign that the heavens are preparing for the arrival of another angel. My family and I have had two separate services over the last four years for family members that have passed and both times it poured down rain! Your angel Granty is now on to "Grand"er things! He will always be loved and has started his new journey with many blessings!
ReplyDeleteGrant’s journey is a testimony to the kind of love that a mother and father give to their children. What a blessing you have been to your son and your daughter – loving parents doing the very best they can for their children. It’s an encouragement for all parents. Thank you for sharing Grants life with all of us, and reminding us what it means to be good parents.
ReplyDeleteDave K.
Connie,
ReplyDeleteYour words are a beautiful honor and tribute to your son. You and your family continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.
Thinking of you!
Kelly
That was a such a sweet and loving speech. Your little guy would be proud of his mama! We're so sorry that you've have to go through all of this, and will be keeping you all in our thoughts.
ReplyDelete-Sara and Jeff
Connie, to say I am so proud of you would be an understatement. The strength you have is UNBELIEVABLE!! All of us in St. Louis hope that your entire family will find peace knowing that Granty is with Jesus. Love Always, Mike, Joanne, Laura & Peggy
ReplyDeleteAfter that tribute, of course there would no dry eye in the church. Connie (and Damon) you are truly amazing. There has been a lot of things that I've taken from your blog. And I hope that I can incorporate it into my life. I'm sure I'm not the only one out there to say that Emily and my days weren't complete until we read Grant's blog. Our hearts and love have been with you guys since Day 1 and will continue to be there.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Joe (Em, Dominic, and Sophia too)
I have just read your beautiful tribute to your sweet little boy again...I know I am reading courage. Gwen
ReplyDeleteTruly I'm so sorry for your huge loss. Thank you for sharing his life with the whole community. My heart aches for your family. May the peace of Christ sustain you all. Rest in peace, sweet precious baby Grant.
ReplyDeleteMaria Valdez
Beautiful Connie. My sophomore dance date sure has grown up and become an extraordinary mom.. I am sorry for your loss and will continue to honor you and your strength with a yearly giraffe.
ReplyDeleteThank you for this blog. It reminds me to cherish every moment I have with my kids, and not let any moment be taken for granted. As Aunt Joanne mentioned above, the strength and courage you have exhibited throughout this trial is tremendous and exemplary. Natasha and I were deeply saddened to hear of Grant's passing, and we've been searching worldwide for giraffes worldwide that need assistance or adoption. We've also decided to order a giraffe from Build-a-Bear and place it under the Christmas tree. We will name it Grant in honor of your son. Know that your family, and especially Grant, will always be in our prayers.
ReplyDeleteJoe, Natasha, Alex and Nicole