The reality of the new normal started to hit today....Grant's absence is very palpable. All of my family flew home today, and Damon had headed out with some friends, leaving Alexa and I by ourselves for a bit this afternoon. It was the first time Alexa and I had been alone together in weeks, and it was so odd to play with her without having to juggle both her and Grant. I became an expert multi-tasker, balancing the two kiddos, and it's such a bizarre feeling to know that Alexa has my sole and undivided attention again. No listening for a monitor, carrying two kids at once or centering our play around Granty.....
I know the reminders of Grant will be frequent and strike at some of the most peculiar times. Vernon (my father-in-law) and I were watching the SEC title game today, and there was a commercial with snippets of families and babies. Both of us let out an "Awww," each of us thinking of Granty and knowing we won't get to see those moments of him growing up. Or today I had popped into Target, and I had to remind myself that I no longer had to scope the racks for cute boys' clothes in the 3-6 month size.
Damon and I both know that we won't have an easy road ahead, but we're going to take it one day at a time and make a conscious effort to preserve Grant's legacy each day. We're so fortunate to have the love and support of so many friends and family members.
My dear Connie and Damon, Yes, these feelings are so strong and will come and go. But your Granty will be with all of us forever. His tribute was beautiful friday. Yes very sad, but very uplifting. We are feeling empty as well. We are so very proud of you. But now, these difficult days are very normal, and you just might not want to be so strong and thats ok too. There was so much love flowing friday. Love conquors all. Everyone is ready to help. We know you will both reach out when you can... "Alexa Medicine" will be your best remedy. Just know that your pain is our pain and we are here for you. We love you and pray that the days ahead will get easier. Auntie Gail and Uncle Bruce
ReplyDeleteConnie-
ReplyDeletePlease know that even though we may not be there with you in person, the love that all of your friends and family have for Damon, Alexa, and yourself will always be with you.
Even though I never had the pleasure of meeting little Granty in person, he has touched me and I'm sure many others along the way. I'm sure that it's very hard for all 3 of you right now, but hopefully each day will get a little bit easier. Although the pain will probably never fully go away, the love and bond that you all shared with Grant will be with the 3 of you forever as well.
-Your cousin Peter
Ever since learning of baby Grant's passing from my brother as we sat in the VA, I can say my heart and soul aches for you all. My brother was so very sad when he told me he read about Grant's obit in the paper. My brother, a Marine vet, who fights hard not to cry, lost that ability when he shared Grant's obit with me. In the lobby I used my phone to pull up pics of your baby and read your blog. Me and my brother were just broken, wishing this didn't happen. We are total strangers to your family, but we share in your incredible grief and burden I wil pray daily for Jesus to comfort your family and friends. We are so very sorry for your pain and sorrow.
ReplyDeletePeace in Christ,
Maria Valdez
I cannot imagine all the emotions you must be feeling...I just hope and pray that you feel all the love that is being sent your way. Gwen
ReplyDeleteLittle Granty was adopted by God in Heaven.
ReplyDelete