Thursday, December 6, 2012

Missing Granty

I think Damon and I initially underestimated the effect of Grant's loss upon Alexa; she definitely misses her baby brother.  It's very rough to know that her first real experience with death and introduction to the topic had to involve her little brother.  Although she evokes some tears, it makes me happy to realize just how much Alexa loved Granty and cherished her big sister role.  The mentions of him come at random times - - when we were driving to gymnastics class, she looked at the empty seat next to her and said that she missed Granty riding in the car next to her.  Yesterday was a real tear-jerker when I told Alexa about her cousin Luke's new baby brother - she asked if Luke would share his baby brother with her since Granty had died.  Talk about tears...oye!

As with all of us, I expect time will be a huge component of helping her deal with Granty's death.  She's been back in the normal routine of school since Monday, and she's had an added bonus this week of two weekday gymnastics classes (she loves going to the gym more than anything), making up for all of the classes she missed over the past few weeks.  Tonight we also began playing with 'The Elf on the Shelf' that my dear friend Linda sent to her.  She decided to name her elf Grant (aww...I'll just ignore that the elf is wearing a skirt), and begged the elf not to talk to Santa tonight because she had bitten her friend at school today.  I hope the many activities that we have planned for the coming weeks, Ignite Hope walk, Zoo Lights, trip to StL, etc..., will help with her healing process.  She's a tough little kid, and I know this little girl will be able to overcome anything.  She is a mini-me, after all :)

Always ready to help Mommy bathe Granty....look at both their smiles :)


6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing these touching moments with everyone. Sending love and light. Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sign me up for hospital charity walk. Papa Hovey is coming to town to be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darn, I shouldn't of postponed my trip! I hope Papa Hovey can keep up with you girls. I know it doesn't seem like it now, but time truly does heal pain. This is such a difficult and sad process. But know that we are with you and pray that your hearts will heal a little each day. Miss Alexa is a firecracker! She will keep you on your toes. I know you are keeping her busy...and it's great shes so active. Tell her to practice, so she can show all of us her gymnastic stunts....I'm sure Papa Hovey will hold the 10 score when she does a summersalt! We never got to experience the Elf on the Shelf in the Armenian Home haha. I'd love to be a fly on the wall to hear Alexa say she didn't want the Elf to talk to Santa! (Sounds like her Daddy). Hang in there.......The three of you are in our thoughts every day and pray that each day gets a little easier. Get ready because Uncle Bruce wants to join me when we visit. Love, Auntie Gail


    ReplyDelete
  4. Connie, My heart goes out to Alexa as this is such a difficult time for not only you and Damon but Alexa is as caring and thoughtful as the two of you. Yes, she is strong like her mommy and daddy but she still is aware of having her little brother, his absence is always there for all of you. We will keep you all in our prayers. Love to all, Mike & Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Cousin Alexa,

    Consider me your new baby too! I love you very much & can't wait to meet you. We're going to have so much fun growing up & playing together.

    Lots of love,

    Your new cousin, Baby Austin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi friends,
    Isn't it amazing how quickly the bond forms between siblings??!! I always tell Michael that Marissa thinks of Mallory as her #1 fave, Michael is #2 and boring old mom is totally #3.
    I am sure you guys will continue to have many walks down memory lane with Alexa.
    lots of love,
    Nikki Pell

    ReplyDelete