This was the first Christmas that Alexa grasped the concept of Santa, and her excitement this morning was a welcome start to the day. She's a very meticulous present-opener, making sure to remove ever last bit of wrapping paper from each present, so the gift opening lasted about 20 minutes this morning. Even though Santa forgot a collection of Disney Princess dolls in Damon's closet in Arizona, Alexa was thrilled by the gifts he brought her - - the coveted dress-up clothes and a pink camera were the highlights. Santa did try to interject some educational components, surprising her with a phonics book and an A-B-C bead game. It's worth a shot... :)
As I was running this afternoon (braving the freezing temperatures and wind), I was thinking about my Granty - a pretty normal thought whenever I'm running. It would have been cute to see him sitting and creeping on the floor, probably trying to tear off some wrapping paper. I'm sure big sister Alexa would have been just as excited for the gifts Santa brought Grant as she was for her own. Ahh...what could have been.
Despite not having a physical presence, Granty was with us today. The front page of the St. Louis newspaper had an article about Matt Holliday and David Freese, two St. Louis Cardinals, who pay regular visits to a children's hospital in St. Louis and have befriended the patients, including some cancer patients. It was truly a feel-good story about two amazing athletes but also two selfless superstars - I can only imagine the excitement of the kids they meet. I had to smile thinking about Granty and his stuffed Fredbird (the Cardinals mascot) that was always next to him in the hospital bed and even accompanied him to surgery. As I checked out the Phoenix newspaper online, a front page article discussed the Ryan House, the children's hospice home that we had considered for Grant's last week before deciding to stay in PICU. It just seemed a pretty unique coincidence that both newspapers featured front page articles about topics so relevant to Grant and our family.
| An ornament in Granty's honor adorns my parents' Christmas tree. |
| Santa paid tribute to Granty with a pink giraffe swimsuit for Alexa. As soon as she saw it, she said "Granty!" |
Damon & Connie, It was so good to see you on Xmas Eve we had a wonderful time. Grant was in our prayers at 10:00p.m. mass and I offered all my prayers to our little angel in heaven. When the choir sang "Joseph's Lullaby" the tears would not stop streaming. My love to you all, Joanne
ReplyDeleteAgain, I'm so very sorry for your incredible loss. I'm just a stranger in your lives, but I truly fell your pain. I thought of your little boy today and most days since learning of his journey. I just can't imagine what you all have been through and little Granty.
ReplyDeletePeace in Christ
Maria Valdez, Fresno
We thought about you & Granty all day today. Like you said, such a bittersweet time. Granty remains at the forefront of our minds & we think of him daily. I'm sure he had a beautiful Christmas celebration with his loved ones in heaven. I have no doubt he received everything he could hope for & more. We love you so much & wish we could give you a big hug today.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Andrew, Gia, Luke & Austin
Dear Damon Connie and Alexa, The Hovannisian gang missed you at our dinner table in Fresno. you were in our thoughts throughout the day. As usual we ate like carnivores and enjoyed a few (haha) bottles of wine!!! I'm glad you were with your loving family is St. Louis. Safe travels back to Scottsdale. sending you our prayers to ease your grief . hope to see you soon. Philip and Florence
ReplyDelete