Through the kindness of a co-worker and his connection at the Phoenix Zoo, our family was given an amazing opportunity to visit with the giraffes today. We arrived at the zoo around 7am (an hour before it opened to members), and we were escorted to the giraffe barn for an up-close encounter with the giraffes before they were released into the savanna for the day. Upon entering the barn, we were immediately mesmerized by the giraffes - - they are such beautiful animals. I never realized the acuteness of their senses, but as soon as we entered the barn, all five giraffes took notice of our presence...some a little bit more interested in us than others. It was amazing to stand within a few feet of the animals as they towered over us.
We headed outside of the barn to a fenced area where the zookeeper had plenty of biscuits and treats to feed them. Alexa was in pure heaven, and I saw a sense of giddiness and glee that I haven't seen in a long time. She absolutely loved having the giraffes crane their necks and swoop down to grab a treat from her hand with their big black tongues. It look a few treats for her to get the hang of it (she kept dropping the treats before the giraffes had them wrapped in their tongues), but she loved every minute of it. The giraffes definitely took a liking to Miss Alexa when she had the treats in her hand.
Damon and I just stepped back and enjoyed: Alexa's excitement and joy, the majestic nature of the animals and, of course, thoughts of our beloved little boy. The giraffes are the perfect animal to associate with Granty - amazing eyelashes around big, round eyes, a gentle demeanor and a remarkable sense of surroundings. A quiet but powerful presence.
Alexa new it was going to be a special day when Granty the Elf left a sparkle giraffe t-shirt and matching hair clips for her. The visit to the zoo did not disappoint. Alexa and I were driving down the 101 freeway to friends' house tonight, and she began discussing the excitement of the zoo and the fun she had there. Without any prompting or questions, she told me the boy giraffe (there was one male and four females) reminded her of Granty. My eyes welled up with tears (shocking, I know), and I was so happy to hear that she has made such a positive association between Granty and giraffes. Damon and I want nothing more than for her to have wonderful memories of her beloved baby brother, and it sounds like we're on the right track.
 |
| The Hovey fam - with 3 of the 5 giraffes. |
 |
| No shyness here (from the giraffe nor Alexa). |
 |
| The face is priceless - - pure joy. |
 |
| Little Miss Popular |
 |
| Coming in for the biscuit. |
 |
| Always a show-off....pretending to eat the giraffe treats :) |
Damon and Connie, What a wonderful treat for all of you, to be able to be up close and personal with the giraffes, needless to say, from the looks of the pictures Alexa was in heaven! I bet Grant was looking down and smiling at his big sister. Love to all, Joanne
ReplyDeleteConnie, I am friends with Steve and Carolyn and I follow your blog pretty regularly. Your strength amazes me. We decided to sponsor a giraffe here at the Brookfied Zoo in Chicagoland as a way to remember Grant and your family. We got our paperwork earlier this month and I talked to my 4 year old daughter about Katie and Abby's cousin and how special giraffes are to his family. I will tell her all about your adventure at the zoo with your daughter, I am sure she will appreciate it. Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers often:)
ReplyDeleteThis is awesome. What a great experience for you guys. And we all know where Alexa gets her showing off from. ;) I have no doubt that Alexa's memories of Granty will be happy ones...and that is because I know yours and Damons memories are happy and that you will continue to share those with her. Pretty awesome that she will always associate her little brother with giraffes and how magical they have become for all of you. Love you guys...have a great time in St Louis!
ReplyDelete