Friday, December 7, 2012

Blessed & Lucky

Wow - - I am in shock and awe of the response of family and friends to the mention that Alexa and I ( + my father-in-law Vernon) would be participating in the Ignite Hope walk tomorrow night to benefit Phoenix Children's.  I have received donations that have placed me as the #19 fundraiser for the event.  Wow.  I am humbled by these donations, not to mention the outpouring of support that Damon and I continue to receive from all over the world via donations in Grant's name to Phoenix Children's, cards, letters, texts, gifts, etc....

I've been asked how Damon and I are able to deal with Granty's death so well - - it's a pretty easy answer.  We have been so fortunate to have the support of family, friends and even complete strangers.  Grant's life and passing has brought out the best in people, including ourselves.  We have our moments (each time I think I can't cry anymore, somehow more manage to come), but Grant's spirit is being preserved in each and every one of us.  His lessons of hope, faith, love and perseverance are alive and well.

Assuming the Ignite Hope walk is a success, I am already looking forward to next year, as I will dedicate myself to creating a team - Granty's Giraffes - so that we can make sure Phoenix Children's always has a reminder of my little boy.  As I joked with Damon, someday our little Granty will have a wing of the hospital in his name :)

Tomorrow's Walking Team - - including our honoree.
Practicing for the 1.7mi walk at the San Diego Zoo (in Aug'12).





2 comments:

  1. Good luck tomorrow! I think you should have Vernon and Alexa do some fartleks tonight to train!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connie, Alexa & Poppy Hovey, Good luck tomorrow on your walk to benefit PCH. If I were in Phoenix, I certainly would participate with you. Maybe next year we could get a group to do the walk with all of you. Love to all, Michael & Joanne

    ReplyDelete