Tonight Vernon, Alexa and I participated in the Ignite Hope Walk for Phoenix Children's - - it was a very nice event and much more emotional that Vernon or I ever expected. The starting plaza had plenty of entertainment and food - Baskin Robbins ice cream, Dunkin Donuts donut holes and every kind of cookie and granola bar you could image - quite the pre-walk festivities. The food array made me think of the spread that we'd would always have after a cross country or track meet :) The 1.7 mile walk to the hospital (although on the drive there, Vernon swore it seemed like 7.1 miles - it was all straight-away) went by very quickly, and Alexa walked about half and spent the other half on my shoulders. When the crowds gathered in front of the hospital holding up the candle flashlights and a Sarah McLachlan-like hymn played in the background, I could not help tearing up. It was very sad to see the place where we had spent so much time; I easily identified the windows of Granty's PICU rooms - 6105 and 6108. It was comforting to see all of the kids pressed against their windows, knowing the joy the crowd was bring to them and also that most of those kids will be able to go home some day. It seems like forever since we left Phoenix Children's, but it will only be two weeks tomorrow. I really miss my little boy....
Despite the moments of sadness and reflection, it truly was a good event. Like I told Vernon, there aren't too many places where you can schedule an evening walk in the first week of December. I'm very proud that both Alexa and Vernon wanted to walk back to the car instead of taking the shuttle bus; Alexa, being the mini-me that she is, even ran part of the way back while holding my hand. That's my girl!
Thank you again to everyone who supported us. Through your generosity, we catapulted to the #8 slot in the fundraising for tonight's event - - wow. I'm so proud that Granty's legacy is helping such a wonderful cause :)
 |
| Team Hovey! |
 |
| Enjoying some quality time with Papa Hovey. |
 |
| Hanging out with Miss Phoenix. |
 |
| Ready to walk for a great cause. |
So proud of you guys!
ReplyDeleteWe were with you in spirit. You are simply amazing. Gwen
ReplyDeleteGreat effort by you, Alexa & Papa Hovey in the Ignite Hope Walk. Loved the photos too.
ReplyDeleteEileen
Connie, Congratulations on the walk and Alexa what a big girl you have become. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Much Love, Michael & Joanne
ReplyDeleteWhat spirit. I have great respect for you.
ReplyDeleteSophene wrote a story called 'Grant and Grant Jr.' today. It's about a boy (Grant) and his giraffe (Grant Jr.). Maybe she'll read it to you one day.
Love you all,
Ani
What a wonderful way to spend a Saturday...And so comforting for all of you. I can visualize the crowd with candles and can almost hear the music which brings tears to my eyes. We are so proud of all of you. Papa Hovey loves fun so I'm sure he'll participate next year. And what a great way to earn money for a wonderful place. Maybe Alexa will be th first half Armenian to run a 10k.. Haha. Love, Auntie Gail
ReplyDelete