Sunday, December 23, 2012

Another Kind of Zoo - - the Airport

Alexa and I flew to St. Louis this morning, and had a different kind of zoo experience than yesterday morning...the Phoenix Airport was busy!  Thankfully Alexa and I had only carry-on bags, and, thanks to my sister, there was already a car seat in St. Louis - - the luggage check-in lines were snaking through the airport.  Whew!  A TSA agent noticed Alexa and I waiting patiently in the security checkpoint line, and he came over to us and told us to switch to the employee line.  I'm not sure if it was the holiday spirit or something else, but the TSA agent saved us probably 30-45 minutes of waiting time.  After a completely full flight and two maintenance delays totaling over an hour, we made it safely to St. Louis.  Despite the delays, Alexa was extremely well-behaved on the flight.  She couldn't get off the plane and into the terminal fast enough; as soon as she saw her beloved NeNe (Grandma Niehoff), she sprinted towards her screaming, "NeNe!!!"  I think that made my mom's day.... :)

Granty continues to be in the forefront of all of our minds, especially as the one-month anniversary (December 25th) of his passing draws near.  I was packing his "GVH" tote to use as a carry-on for the trip, and Alexa was in his room with me as I pulled out some of his personal effects from that last hospital stay.  Alexa pulled out his little green, rattle ball and said, "Aww....Granty's ball.  Why did he have to die?"  Good thing she's easily distracted because I had no answer for that...trust me, I wish I did.  Another reminder came on the airplane - I had booked the tickets in early September (well-before any of the major life-changing events), so Grant was booked on the reservation as a lap child.  The flight attendants were in the back of the plane trying to find the elusive lap child that was included on the flight's manifest.  I had to tell them that originally my son was going to be flying with us but the plans had changed.  Argh. 

It is good to be home in St. Louis - Alexa's been in heaven with the attention she's receiving from her grandparents and godmother (Auntie Karen).  Alexa's teacher also helped to improve my mood, as she sent me one of the pictures from the pajama/cookie decorating party earlier this week (Thank you, Ms. LeAnna!) - - the picture is below.

One happy cookie decorator....looks like she
was also the official icing taste tester.

4 comments:

  1. Happy to hear you you're safe and sound in St. Louis. Deep down in my heart I wish you were here in Fresno with us. Just being selfish. I want you to know that Skip and Madeline are the ones that took the Christmas tree to Grant's gravesite. I will go to the see him tomorrow. Christmas eve. Wish Alexa and all the Niehoff family, Merry Christmas
    PAPA HOVEY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to St. Louis! We cannot wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Connie and Alexa,
    Merry Christmas Eve. Glad to hear that you made it to St. Louis safely. Sounds like Miss Alexa-Malexa was quite a trooper on an even longer flight than usual. Oh, I forget. I'm not suppose to say that or she won't be my friend! Chuckle. In my shopping mania, I've noticed more "Princess" themed items for my own real princess, Alexa Siroon. The easels with Granty's pictures still stand in my kitchen. I look at his beautiful eyes throughout the day. I especially like the one with the "ng" tube. I feel his presence surrounding me. We may be a bit partial, but Vernon and I feel we have the most terific grandchildren ever! Wishing Grandma Ne-Ne, Papa Gene and the rest of the Niehoff family a happy holiday. Can't wait until we see you. My love, Nana-Banana/Nana Hovey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to STL. It was awesome to see you guys tonight. So glad we got to talk for a little and i seemed everyone there wanted to talk to you guys. Have a Merry Christmas and I weill see you all on Thursday. Love, Kevin

    ReplyDelete