Thursday, December 20, 2012

The Magic of Christmas

It's hard to believe Christmas is just five days away...yikes!

I have a very dear friend, Linda, in New Jersey who is one of the most festive people I know when it comes to Christmas - - - her house has so many decorations that it rivals the Macy's Herald Square in New York City.  I can only imagine what she would say if she saw my arsenal of Christmas decorations (or lack thereof) here in Arizona.  Anyway, I absolutely love the whimsy and spirit of the holidays that she exudes.  Earlier this week, she sent me a note asking for pictures and some information about Alexa - what she wanted for Christmas, things she was doing in school, etc... - so I knew Linda was up to something.  I found out today when I received an e-mail of a Santa video that was created for especially for Alexa (I should have mentioned Linda's super-creative too) on a 'Portable North Pole' website.  I wish I had a camera to videotape Alexa as she was watching the Santa video - her jaw dropped when Santa and the elves mentioned her name, and she could barely contain her excitement as she watch the video that included pictures of her while Santa mentioned all of those special things about her.  She was actually talking back to the video, as if Santa could hear her, and shrieking with excitement at every scene.  It was an awesome feeling to see the magic and wonderment of Christmas alive in Alexa.

In another instance of keeping a spirit alive, I'm very happy to note that Granty has been commemorated in the PICU of Phoenix Children's Hospital.  A family from Alexa's Montessori School had raised money for cancer patients at PCH (this was a week or two before Grant was diagnosed), and they used the money to buy toys and games for the Child Life department at the hospital.  In a special tribute to Grant, this amazing family bought a giraffe coat hook and framed giraffe picture that are proudly displayed and dedicated to Granty in the Child Life department on the 6th floor of the hospital (PICU).  I cannot tell you how touched I was to have these special tributes to Granty in a department and place that helped us so much.

Alexa and a new doll - - she named the doll "Porkchop."
I have no idea why.....

Granty's coat hook and framed giraffe picture at PCH. :)

5 comments:

  1. Connie, what a sweet tribute for Granty. Hopefully in the future, there will be much more dedicated in his name. As for Alexa, what a CUTIE! She is definitely your clone. Loves and Hugs, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Want wonderful vignettes of life. Granty lives on in so many ways, and Alexa is discovering the full spirit of life. I'm glad you're feeling better, Damon. Thank you, Connie, for making us feel like we're with you everyday. Hope to see you soon! Love, Ani

    ReplyDelete
  3. Porkchop? Did you have those for dinner recently? Funny stuff. Kids cone up with the craziest names.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear that all is well. I look forward to seeing you guys over the holidays.

    On a completely unrelated note,I love the candid photos that you post in the blog. Especially one from this posting. Alexa has obviously gone "hog wild" over her newest treasure!

    ReplyDelete