Alexa was initially very scared when we dropped Damon off at the hospital, as she was concerned that (like Granty) he wouldn't be coming home. Thankfully we had a surprisingly coherent and production discussion - especially for 1am - about Emergency Rooms versus hospitalizations; I simply explained that ER's are a doctor's office when the regular doctors are sleeping. It helped when I told her she had been to an ER as a baby (horrible case of croup), to which she exclaimed, "And I'm a healthy kid!" I think Damon and I will be having a lot of conversations with Alexa over the next few years whenever she's sick, going to the doctor, etc... Sigh.
In a bit of irony, a nurse working last night was the same one who had taken care of us when Grant was in the Pediatric ER at six-days old. Jay was a phenomenal nurse who took great care of us - personally bringing up meds from the pharmacy, moving us from the ER to PICU after his shift ended (it ended up being a pretty hilarious transport because he had no idea where he was going since transporting patients was way outside his normal job responsibilities).... He knew Damon looked familiar, and as soon as Damon began to jog his memory, Jay remembered Grant immediately. Needless to say, he was devastated and saddened to find out what happened to Grant, and he was speechless to know that the white blood cell count from lumbar puncture that was diagnosed as meningitis was likely an indicator of the tumor. Jay echoed exactly the same sentiments we heard at Phoenix Children's - never would they ever suspect a brain tumor in a six-day-old newborn.
It did bring a smile to my face to know that Jay remembered Granty - even at six-days old, he still left a lasting impression. During that first hospitalization at Scottsdale Shea (not Phoenix Children's), the nurses in PICU fawned over Grant and loved having a newborn baby in their care. I pulled up some of the pictures we had taken of Grant during the 'meningitis' hospital stay, and I just shook my head. Alexa wanted us to bring him a toy, and she randomly selected a giraffe plush bowling pin for him. The giraffe trend began well-before we even realized it.
![]() |
| It was love at first sight with the giraffe.... |
![]() |
| 'Grant the Champ' showing his strength at just one week old. |


Wow! Giraffes were meant for Granty. I am glad Damon is doing better. I think you guys have had enough hospital visits for a lifetime. We can't wait to see you in a week!
ReplyDeleteGosh, for some reason I don't get your blogs until 12 hours later. I was about to respond to "A busy weekend" when I saw "A visit to the ER." All I can say is I'm sorry. Your little family is enduring so much, but as always you three are handling whatever is thrown at you. Poor Damon, I've heard kidney stones can be so painful. (A little like childbirth Ugh!) Thank goodness for pain medication. So glad hes feeling a little better. I was happy to read that the two of you had a date night. It's great that you got to see friends, laugh a little, and very normal to share your feelings. (Thats what friends do for each other). And we all know that Granty will always be with you. I promise that someday your tears will turn into smiles. I now think of him with little wings, free of everything that was uncomfortable. Giraffes now make me smile and think of Granty. Praying that each day gets a little easier. Love to you. Auntie Gail
ReplyDeleteWe hope Damon is doing much better and wish him all the best. Needless to say, I can understand Alexa's concern, and it didn't surprise me how well you handled the explanation, WHAT A TROOPER!! Love you lots, Joanne
ReplyDeleteGosh, I'm glad that Damon is ok - I have hurt those are so incredibly painful. I'm glad that you were able to alleviate Alexa's fears about the ER trip, and that Daddy would be coming home. I love that the nurse remembered Grant. It amazes me the love that nurses (and docs) have for their patients. Heck, even when I go for my regular MRI scan, my MRI techs and IV nurses are like family now! :-) God bless you guys - and we will pray that Damon heals quickly.
ReplyDeletexoxoxo
Jen Searle
Oh no!!! Keith has had several bouts with Kidney Stones and had to have surgery as well. It is no joke and no fun!!! We hope Damon is feeling better today and that sweet Alexa knows her daddy is going to be just fine. I'm sure she is a great little nurse;) What are the odds Damon would end up with the same nurse!?! Maybe his giraffe loving guardian angel had something to do with it! We love you guys!!!
ReplyDeletexoxo
Jen