Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The Cool Carts

Shopping with Alexa is always an adventure, and it's even more interesting when we go to a store that has "novelty" shopping carts like the kiddie car-carts at grocery stores or the huge double-seater cart at Target.  For anyone who hasn't had the 'pleasure' to push one of these through a store, the carts are absolute beasts - - they are cumbersome and real steering challenge because they are so massive.  I will do anything to dissuade Alexa from picking one of these carts or attempt to distract her when we enter the stores just to avoid grabbing one of these monstrosities.  I know....I'm a real stick in the mud. ;)  

Tonight after I picked Alexa up from school, we went to Safeway to pick up some pudding (don't ask), and of course, I had to convince Alexa that we didn't need the kiddie car-cart since we were just running in quickly for one thing.  As we were on our way out of the store and passing by the carts, she exclaimed, "Oh no!" and started to get upset.  When I asked her what was wrong, she said she was sad because Granty won't ever be big enough to ride in the carts with her.  Ugh.  However, in normal Alexa form, she was able to get over it in a split-second, asking how soon she could eat pudding.

It makes complete sense - - I had always told Alexa that Granty had to get bigger before we would need the big double-seater cart from Target.  I simply didn't realize how much the prospect of the two of them together in one of those massive carts excited her.  For Damon, Alexa and myself, it seems that sometimes the most unassuming objects (i.e. the sighting of a grocery cart) provide the most crushing blows and blatant reminders of Grant's absence.  However, taking a cue from Alexa, we have to continue to move on and get through the sadness.  I'd better stock up on pudding...... :)

Hopefully heaven has shopping carts.

4 comments:

  1. Madi loves these carts when we go to the grocery store. She will ride in the car until I stop to put something in the cart, and she immediately gets out and wants to help me. Then she'll have to get back in the car before we can go to our next stop. I guess its better than her throwing a fit in the store. :) I'm sure they have shopping carts in Heaven...I bet they aren't as heavy and hard to move as the ones we have here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connie, I agree with the cart issue. When Maddie and Makenna go shopping with me I tend to bribe them so that I won't have to struggle with those beasts. I think of all of you daily but today someone at work, an elderly patient, Are you looking forward to Xmas and I quickly said I will be glad when this year ends. She then replied, Oh you probably have so much to be thankful for and I did agree but then also told her of our dear sweet Grant and ended with, You're right we now have our own little angel in heaven. I promptly excused myself and dried my eyes. I will always admire your strength. Love, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had the pleasure of pushing one of these things. But hearing you describe them I almost want to take up the driving and pushing challenge with Dominic and Sophia. But I'm sure if I do something like this, they will want Emily to do it too. And that just won't happen. Anyway, CHALLENGE ACCEPTED (probably).

    Love, Joe P.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh I hate those carts. The target one is the worse...don't even try to push that thing thru the clothing section (maybe thats a good thing in our case..LOL)

    ReplyDelete