Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Resting Comfortably

The team at Phoenix Children's has done a wonderful job making sure Grant (as well as the rest of the family) is comfortable.  Yesterday afternoon they moved the crib out of the room and brought in a bed so that people could hold and snuggle Grant.  He spent the entire night sleeping on either Damon or myself; I think he'll be sleeping with one of us for the rest of his life.  The PICU staff also made sure that hospital security allowed all of our family in the room well-after normal visiting hours.

Damon and I are fortunate to be surrounded by our families - - my parents and two sisters flew in yesterday night, another sister and my brother will be here today.  Both of Damon's parents are also here.  It was very nice to have a house full of people when I stopped in this morning, with everyone quickly stepping into fill the roles at home.  Julie & Karen (my sisters) already have the Thanksgiving dinner shopping list and a list for Target of the toys that Santa Claus will be giving Alexa - - - Santa's frugal and follows the sales ads. :)

When I came back to the hospital after a quick break at home to get Alexa to school, Grant was resting so peacefully in the bed.  The nurses had given him a bath, all of his vitals were good, and he looked like a little angel holding a stuffed Fredbird.  He's still fighting until the very end - - his grip is slight on his right side, but he's quick to grab a finger, pull my hair or feel for Damon's goatee.

We're still learning of our options for going home, but until then, we just want to keep our beloved Granty comfortable and peaceful.  There's a very good chance our boy may not make it home. :(

Sleeping peacefully.
Papa Hovey with his beloved grandson.
Snuggling with Daddy.

One of the loves of my life.

23 comments:

  1. He looks so angelic and peaceful... I am thankful to hear your families are with you during this tough time..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm heart broken to read this about such an incredibly beautiful and loved little boy. I would love to be able to conjure up something to say in order to alleviate the hurt, grief and terror you must feel as parents. But there doesn't seem to be anything that one can say to do that. If you believe in a Higher Power, I will pray that He wraps His arms around your little boy and keep him safe and comfortable through whatever happens. I'll still beg for a miracle. He's so beautiful, I'm so sorry this happened to Grant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Connie and family,
    My heart breaks for you!
    As the previous person, Taylor, posted --asking for a miracle..
    I too asked the higher spirits to prepare a nice place for little Grant but I also asked for a miracle for his little spirit, life and body deserves to be here with you, Damon, Alexa and all of his other family! I surround you in my thoughts with the strength to carry on, and surround beautiful baby Grant with lots of strength and love too! Love to all, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a precious sweet little boy he is. glad grant is surrounded by so much love. you are wonderful parents and he is blessed to have you both and a wonderful loving sister. we will always be thinking of him.

    love, joe and nicole pressutti

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are no words to describe the sadness I feel in my heart for your beautiful family. We are sending all of our love and thoughts and prayers to all of you. All of the love that surrounds sweet little Grant is such a blessing.

    Love Leo and Catherine Flores.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet, sweet boy. I am glad you are able to snuggle him and he has so many people who love him with him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Cousins,

    You are all so AMAZING and so, so BRAVE right now. Your words throughout Grant's blog are the most beautiful, sweetest loving words I have ever read from a parent talking about thier child.
    Grant is such a loved precious little boy by you two, his beautiful big sister Alexa and all of rest of your families. We all haven't stopped thinking about him, praying for him....for all of you to find some peace and comfort through this unbearable ordeal.

    Auntie Gail and I were texting each other earlier and we know that Grandma Jessie and Great Auntie "Big Red" are waiting for him with open arms. He will be so loved in Heaven as he is here on earth.

    We love you.

    Cousins - Marlene, Colleen, Chrissy, Kathy.....and the rest of the Peloian clan. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are both amazing and two of the strongest people I have ever met. Grant is so blessed to have you as parents..and to have so much love around him. I have no doubt that he can feel every ounce of that love with everything in his little body. We have been praying for all of you throughout this, and only hope that you guys find strength in each other. Love you all so so much. Love, Ashley, Dave, and Madi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Connie, Damon, and Alexa - our hearts go out to you and precious baby Grant. We have no doubt Grant feels all the love surrounding him right now; he has a beautiful, amazing family by his side. We send our love to all of you and pray that you find strength and peace.
    All our love,
    Your cousin, Stephanie, Tony and Luca

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your little champ is a fighter!!!! Your words are so wonderful...Your constant love and affection is Grants best medicine and I know he can feel the love of your entire family surrounding him. Just know that we are with you and praying that Grant stay comfortable. I have no words because my heart aches for all of you. Since we can't be there in body, please kiss and cuddle your beautiful little boy for us. We'll never stop thinking of you and your family. XOXO Auntie Gail and Uncle Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  11. Connie and Damon---My prayers have been w/you and Grant for the last several weeks. I can't begin to comprehend your thoughts and emotions but I am quite sure there is no family on this planet more loved than you. I would gladly give my life if it meant saving your Little Boy. Alas, such decisions are not ours to make. Love you guys so much!

    Uncle Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  12. Connie and Damon,
    I am a friend of Carolyn's and even though we only met at their wedding, I want you to know that I am thinking of you all during this time. I am so sorry that you all have to endure this, but it is so obvious from all your posts and others' comments how much love Grant, Alexa and you both are surrounded with. What a beautiful testament to family. Love, Amy Descovich

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for the privilege of allowing us to be a part of Grants life, I cannot even begin to imagine what you are going through. My heart aches for you and Damon. There are no words that I can say that would even begin to comfort you, I will continue to pray for you guys in the months and year to come. You have been selfless by allowing us all to be a part of your lives, thank you! We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Connie and Damon,

    Words cannot express the sorrow I have. My heart aches for all of you. I can only imagine what you have been through the last few months and now. The strength you have shown all of us who have read this blog is a great testament to your character and the great people that you are. I've read all the entries and felt great joy and now sadness to know what Grant has endured. Lots of love and prayers are coming from the Pagano family here. My prayer for you is that Grant is taken to Heaven quickly so that his suffering ends and that you will be blessed with peace.

    With much love,
    Joe (and Emily, Dominic, and Sophia)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Connie and Damon

    loooks like your angel is resting peacefully. Our prayer are with Grant and all of you.

    With all our Love
    Skip and Madeline

    ReplyDelete
  16. We are constantly praying for Champ Grant and the whole family. Mom and Dad, you have done an outstanding job loving and caring for your little guy day in and day out. Please give Champ Grant Hovey a huge kiss from Uncle Andrew. Much Love, Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  17. Connie,
    I am praying for you and your entire family. Grant is an angel.

    Thinking of you!

    Kelly (Ney) Mock

    ReplyDelete
  18. Connie- your strength and grace are truly amazing. I am grateful that you, Damon, Alexis, and Grant have shared your life journey with us through the blog. The love that binds you and the grace of God will guide you through this terrible heartbreak. How incredible that such a sweet boy who never uttered a word could be one of the best teachers of life's greatest lessons? I know that I will see the world differently since Grant's story. My hope is that you can find some moments of joy in the next very difficult days, however fleeting they may be. ( the ice cream roll story or our Dads modeling their Christmas underwear come to mind!) Love to all of you and many,many prayers. Sara Ayers and family

    ReplyDelete
  19. My Dear Hovey family,
    Im at a loss for words. Ive been praying for you all since day one. My heart is always with you guys. As Grants first babysitter he will always be apart of my life. Im SO glad I got to see my sweet Alexa last week...she is so happy and such a great sister. Granty has made such an impact on all our lives and he will continue to do so! Love you all SO much!!! xoxo
    Miss Hali

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love you all very much. Connie- thank you for being such a great wife to Damon and mother to Alexa and Grant. Damon- very proud to call you my big bro. Grant is going to be SO spoiled with Grandma Siroon and Grandma Jessie.. lots of "you go ons" and "first marines". See you guys tonight

    Uncle Vince

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kissing you, sweet Grant.

    ReplyDelete
  22. My heart and thoughts are with you Damon, Connie, Alexa and beautiful baby Grant. This has broken my heart. No words seem comforting right now so I send my love to you and all of your loved ones. I hope to be there for you soon, Krissy Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cousins, My heart is so sad right now. It is evident to all that Grant the Champ is loved by so many...and I KNOW he feels it too. When life seems unfair and I am angry, I always think of this Proverb ( Ash's favorite) and it helps give me some comfort:

    Proverbs 3.5-6 "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

    Sending all of our love and strength, Blair and Derek. We love you!

    ReplyDelete