Monday, February 11, 2013

A Song for Everything

Alexa has entered a very melodious phase in which she seems to sing everything.  The songs range from radio songs (she loves the "Call Me Maybe" song) to random, impromptu songs that usually leave something to be desired in the 'harmonious' department.  However, I think Damon and I would both agree that in our unrelenting grieving process, Alexa's voice is truly music to our ears (pardon the pun).

On Saturday evening, Alexa and I were at Target picking up the final elements for her Valentines that she'll pass out to her classmates.  She was walking alongside me, singing about everything in the store that we passed en route to the holiday section in the back of the store.  I guess she became bored singing about bags of candy, because she suddenly began to sing about herself.  I thought nothing of it until her lyrics became, "My name is Alexa.  I am a big sister.  I had a baby brother, but he died."  I frantically shushed, and looked around to make sure no one was in proximity to have heard the song. Oy...we don't discourage her from talking about Granty, but I'm hopeful lyrics about his death were a one-time occurrence.  I can only imagine the reactions we would get if such a sad and serious topic was being belted out in song by a three year-old.  I wish more than anything that she didn't know about death well-before her years and only knew to sing about rainbows, butterflies, etc...

Always performing..."modeling" one of my dresses...
(for the record, it's backwards -it doesn't have a front cut-out.  lol)

2 comments:

  1. All I can say it "OUT OF THE MOUTHS OF BABES". I totally agree, I wish she didn't know about death at this young age. Love, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alexa & Gabriella were both singing & dancing to call me baby in the car on Friday..it was so cute!! Gabriella's new song is "we are never ever getting back together"..LOL!!!!

    ReplyDelete