Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Daily Mantra

Thursday night swim lessons!  Tonight was a mixed bag for Alexa, as she cried for "Mommy" a couple times during the lesson, but thankfully she was smiling and laughing by the end of the session.  I couldn't help but laugh as Alexa was clinging to Coach Anthony's neck like she was a human necklace; she was trying with all of her might to make sure that he could not let go of her in the water.  I wish she tried as hard at learning the swimming techniques as she does at making sure her coach doesn't let go of her.

As I sat in the gallery watching her lesson, I couldn't help but think of how lucky I am to have Alexa.  This little girl brings so much joy to me, and even her frustrating behaviors (like her unwillingness to learn to let go and swim) are somehow very endearing.  I do not think Alexa will ever be able to understand the role she has played in my ability to cope with the loss of Granty; she's truly been my rock.  Her activities, antics and general enthusiasm for life are so uplifting and help to offset my daily heartbreak for Granty.  My mantra during the past three months has become, "Thank God for Alexa", and I don't see that ever changing (I may redact this statement in 2023 when she's 14 years-old and I'm pulling my hair out...haha).

JOY.




No comments:

Post a Comment