Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Birthday Fever

The combination of the numerous birthday parties we have attended in the past few weeks and her upcoming birthday have elevated Alexa's excitement for her birthday to a new high.  She's been asking me daily for a countdown of days until her birthday (March 5th), and each day I receive the same response..."that's too long!"  She's been describing various elements of what she'd like at her birthday party - balloons, fruit salad with no pineapple, goodie bags for her friends.  Oy.  I knew her birthday obsession had reached an all-time high when at 5am today, she came into my room and told me she wants chocolate-covered strawberries for her birthday.  Interesting - - I'm guessing the Valentine's Day ads must have sparked that idea :)

As hyper-focused as Alexa has become on her own birthday, tonight she realized that Granty will not be celebrating his birthday with us.  I think it was a very startling discovery for her, especially since she's so excited about her own birthday.  The look of shock and sadness on her face nearly broke my heart, but she did perk up when I mentioned that we will do something special to celebrate Granty's big day, something which, of course, will involve cupcakes.  However, she began to pepper me with questions about whether Granty would have a birthday party in heaven, how we would get presents to him, whether he would have balloons and cake in heaven, etc...  I don't think I necessarily had the best answers for her questions, but she seemed satisfied when I simply told her that heaven is a pretty magical place and that I was sure they would have a party in heaven for Granty.

The past few months have been an enlightening experience for me into the mind of a three year-old.  It's amazing to see how many concepts can be grasped at such a young age, and also how she always manages to ask the toughest questions.  I think the most gratifying thing for me is to see how much she thinks about her brother, but also how she is always in the "big sister" protective mode, watching out for his best interests (i.e. making sure Granty has a birthday party).  This little girl unknowingly has been a testament to the love between siblings.  I take a lot of comfort in knowing that she's always watching out for him, and I'm very sure that our Granty is doing the same for her.

Damon's birthday celebration with a two-day-old Granty
(and over-zealous Alexa...lol).

1 comment:

  1. I am sure that Alexa will have an outstanding party. Alexa, rest assured that Aunt Joanne and Uncle Mike are going to offer our prayers and mass up for Granty on his birthday and I am also going to get some balloons and release them so that they will go to Granty in heaven. What a smart and sensitive three (soon to be four) year old. Hugs and Kisses Joanne

    ReplyDelete