Since Alexa was off school today (President's Day) and Damon is out of town, I took the day off work today to spend time with Alexa. That's one thing that has definitely changed post-Granty - - pre-Granty, we would have signed Alexa up for all-day childcare, but post-Granty either Damon or I take the day off work for school holidays to spend the time with her. I think we both realize these days are going to become few and far-between as she gets older, and we want to take advantage of the moments with her.
Since we received a family membership to the Phoenix Zoo, I decided Alexa and I would venture out to the zoo and take advantage of another day of beautiful weather. Alexa's a great walker (she's shunned the stroller since she was 18 months-old), and she had no trouble traipsing around the entire zoo to see all of the animals. Of course, the commercial elements of the zoo are oftentimes more attractive to a four year-old than the animals - the carousel, a playground, a massive sand-filled play area (ugh).... Thank goodness for the membership, otherwise I would have been a little peeved to pay the price of admission just to play in a sandbox. lol.
Of course, Granty was on the forefront of our minds, and there were many "Granty moments" throughout our morning at the zoo. My favorite moment came at our first attraction of the day, the merry-go-round, as Alexa was waiting on the carousel for her ride to begin. As she sat on the coveted seahorse, she suddenly shrieked, "Hi Granty! I love you and I miss you, Baby Brother." Sure enough...off in the distance, I could see the giraffes roaming the Savanna exhibit. As sad and wistful as these moments make me, I am so happy that she has such a positive reminder and association of our little boy.
After three days of non-stop activity, I think I finally wore Alexa out. She was asleep in bed by 7:30pm tonight....I don't think I'll be too far behind. I'm exhausted!
 |
| Definitely a Niehoff - - loves her map and has a great sense of direction. |
 |
| Having a blast on the merry-go-round. |
 |
| We love our giraffes! |
 |
| A beautiful reminder of our Granty.... |
Connie,once again I had to catch on getting my Granty updates. I can't believe it has been three days since I read the last blog. Needless to say, I do envy your time with Alexa, what a sweetheart. When I read the blog about the Zoo and the giraffes and the statement by Alexa loving her brother the tears just started. Although I never had the honor of meeting that sweet baby he will be forever in my heart. Love Always, Joanne
ReplyDelete