Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Pancakes for a Cause

Today IHOP hosted its National Pancake Day at which patrons receive a free stack of buttermilk pancakes in exchange for a donation that benefits a Children's Miracle Network Hospital.  In the Phoenix area, the hospital receiving the donations was Phoenix Children's Hospital, so I had all intentions of taking Alexa to IHOP for dinner tonight.  Normally pancakes would not fit criteria for a healthy dinner, but since it benefits such a great cause, I figured we could make an exception this one time.

However, as with many things in my life, the evening didn't go quite according to plan.  When I picked up Alexa from school tonight, she had a borderline temperature and was in a terrible mood.  I figured it would only compound things if I took her to IHOP for "boring" plain pancakes, because I'm pretty sure Alexa and Damon have been to IHOP for their kid's Funny Face pancakes.  I had a feeling the menu restriction would have put her over the edge and led to a complete meltdown.  Not my idea of a fun evening out.

So, I decided to host my own pancake dinner for Alexa, complete with blueberry and chocolate chip pancakes.  Of course, they were "Connie" pancakes made with Light Bisquick - - not quite the IHOP taste, but I'm sure they have fewer calories.  I even made some scrambled eggs as a side for Alexa (real eggs because we were out of EggBeaters - lol).

My pancake night turned out to be a hit!  Alexa thought it was hilarious that we were having breakfast for dinner, and her mood improved ten-fold when she saw me making the pancake batter.  This was a heck of a lot easier than facing the crowds at IHOP, and I simply made an online donation to Phoenix Children's Hospital in Granty's name to ensure these were pancakes for a good cause. :)

Alexa with her eggs and huge pancakes
(those are mini blueberries - not a pile of chocolate chips.)

1 comment:

  1. YUM YUM, I wish I could have been there. Hope Alexa is feeling better. The smile is deceiving it is hard to believe she wasn't feeling well. Mommy, you are TERRIFIC. Love Joanne

    ReplyDelete