Friday, February 8, 2013

Good Things Are Happening

Since Grant's initial diagnosis, I always said that good things were going to happen because of Granty's life, and today definitely reiterated the point and really inspired me.  This morning my niece Marie, a freshman at Rockhurst University in Kansas City, texted me to let me know she would be doing the Relay for Life in honor of Granty.  Tonight, Damon's brother Vincent contacted me about a golf outing he wants to plan to benefit Phoenix Children's Hospital; he already has a plan developed and budgeted.  Awesome.  Knowing that good things are being done in honor of Granty helps to buffer the sadness and boost our spirits. 

On March 9th, we'll be participating in the Run to Fight Children's Cancer that benefits Phoenix Children's Hospital and the Children's Cancer Network.  Because it's Alexa's birthday party weekend, her grandparents will be in town and have already assured me they will do the 5k Walk (not Run) with Damon and Alexa...I will be doing the 5k Run.  In case anyone is interested in participating, here's the link to the website for the event, including the registration info (on-line or mail-in [saves fees]): http://www.runtofightcancer.com/.  I've set up the team Granty's Giraffes, so please make sure to select/specify the team on the registration form.  It sounds like a great event and a good way to spend an early (7:30am start for the 5k Run/Walk) Saturday morning.

For out of town people, if Alexa's birthday party and Spring Training aren't enough to lure you to AZ for the weekend (haha), you can donate and support team Granty's Giraffes at the following site (everything is 100% tax-deductible)  http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/GrantysGiraffes/run-to-fight-childrens-cancer.

The boy who's inspiring all of us.....

4 comments:

  1. Connie, What a great picture! I wish I could join in the run but instead I will send a check to the PCH in Granty's donation since I cannot be there. Good luck to all of you and kudos for your dedication in fighting this awful disease. Love Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was going to be a 3K. Oh well I guess I'll have to do the 5K.(Oaf BA bam) Armenian for (enough already)

    Grandpa Hovey

    ReplyDelete
  3. registered for the run! can't wait! hopefully can find something cool giraffe things to wear!

    -Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. we are all set to walk! what a special day it will be!

    ReplyDelete