As soon as I saw my hairstylist today, she asked how everything was going, and specifically asked about Granty, as she had become aware of his cancer at our last appointment. When I told her that Granty had passed away, her eyes immediately welled with tears, and she began to stammer, not knowing what to say. Unfortunately I've become way too accustomed to these situations, so I tried my best to lighten the conversation and told her that I was okay and that good things were going to happen because of Granty's life. I told her about some of the things we were doing to remember Granty and perpetuate his legacy (Run to Fight Cancer, Grant Hovannisian Memorial Golf Tournament, etc...), and she was impressed and ready to help however she could.
No matter how many times these situations happen, the revelation of Granty's death to people is one of the hardest conversations to have. As tough as it is to recount his untimely passing, I know it's just as hard for the person hearing about it...there's no instruction manual for what to say about the death of a child. I have heard countless times, "I'm sorry - I don't know what to say," and I can only reassure the person that I've been living this situation for the past three months, and I still don't know what to say. All I can do is have faith that things happen for a reason, and I will become a better person as a result of this.
| Miss You, Granty! Really really really wish you were here. |
you really are a special lady!
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, you and Damon are GOOD people, loving, loyal, fun, and wonderful parents. (That's why you both were drawn to each other during your Purdue years:) I know these situations are so difficult. During my sad days many years ago, I would tell strangers about our story. I don't really know why, I just did. I promise that each day will get easier. You will automatically reach out to help others that share similar sad situations. Grantys courageous fight and short life reminds all of us that we should cherish each day and that "Each day is a Gift!" We know that you both understand that. Continue to have those date nights, and treat yourself to a couples massage. You deserve it! We think of the 3 of you each day. Love, Auntie Gail
DeleteConnie, I will always remember what you said to me at Christmas, "Remeber the good things" and believe me I do try but the thought of you being a rock for everyone who innocently asks about Granty is so awe inspiring to me. You and Damon are terrific and I only hope that we will ALWAYS remember Granty. Love you Joanne
ReplyDelete