Alexa was Miss Cranky when I picked her up from school tonight, and she earned a timeout in her room tonight for some not-so-nice behavior. It became very quiet in her room, which is unusual for Alexa's timeouts....typically she's in her room sobbing and yelling "I'm sorry, Mommy!" when she's in her three-minute timeout sessions (one minute for every year-old). I became a little nervous when I heard nothing, so I went into her room but didn't see her there. She had gone through the Jack-and-Jill bathroom connecting her room to Granty's bedroom, and she was sitting on the floor of Grant's nursery playing with his rain forest playmat. As soon as I entered the room, Alexa said, "This was one of Granty's favorite things, Mommy. I miss him so much. Why did he have to die?" Ugh - the dreaded question for which I wish I knew the answer. Thankfully, Alexa became distracted by Alstott in the bathroom, so I was able to avoid the tough question. However, as I turned off the light and shut the door to his room, Alexa looked at me and said, "We're going to try to have another baby, right?" Oy - tough night.
I rarely go into Granty's room...it's too sad because there are so many reminders of him and what should have been. I've always prided myself in shopping the sales for the kids and having the foresight to buy clothes in advance of when they'll fit into them, so Granty's room has a closet and armoire full of clothes and shoes sizes 6-months and up. I was set to have a preppy little boy and had the closet to prove it - it's hard to believe he won't ever wear the little Cole Haan loafers or navy peacoat I picked out for him.
In time I'm sure Damon and I will figure out what we'll do with Granty's room. Right now, it stands as a memorial to our little guy and the wonderful times we had playing in there.
 |
Twice the fun in Granty's crib. (Notice he's clutching his giraffe blankie. :)) |
Connie, what a tough night, my heart just aches for you. It is still so fresh in everyone's memory and hearts. You are so strong and it is not easy by a loooooong shot but just knowing how well you handle yourself and everyone you touch I know he will always be with you. Love Joanne
ReplyDelete