Saturday, March 2, 2013

Tear-Jerker

I have to apologize for not creating a post yesterday...I was utterly exhausted last night, and I zonked out soon after Alexa around 8pm.  I was extremely well-rested and ready to go this morning! :)

Today was one of those days when I wish I could have been in Alexa's head...Granty was on her mind all day today.  As we drove home from gymnastics this morning, she suddenly began to talk about Granty and how sad she is that he died.  I told her that I miss him too and that I'm also very sad, and her tears just started flowing.  I reminded her that Granty was in heaven and will always be in our hearts.  As she began to wipe her tears, she told me that she thinks Granty is starting to talk in heaven.  I asked her what she thought he was saying, and she replied, "He's saying Mama.  But he's starting to get sad too because you can't come to heaven and hold him."  Talk about a tear-jerker...upon hearing this, I immediately started crying, so the two of us were quite the weepy duo when we returned home.

The tear-jerking moments continued...Alexa and I went to Hobby Lobby later this afternoon, and while she sat perched in the shopping cart, she began talking again about how much she missed Granty.  There was another woman in the aisle who overheard Alexa, and she commented to Alexa, "That's so sweet, honey.  Who is Granty?  Is that your friend?"  Oh gosh....I knew what was about to happen, but could not get the cart out of the aisle fast enough.  Alexa responded, "He's my brother but he died.  He was such a sweet baby, and it's so sad he died."  The poor woman's mouth dropped open in shock, and I quickly interjected with a two sentence synopsis explaining that we had lost her five-month-old brother to brain cancer a few months ago.  The woman began to tear-up and apologized profusely....  I think I can chalk this one up as one of the most uncomfortable situations I've ever encountered.  We caused a total stranger to start crying in the ribbon aisle of Hobby Lobby - oy.

We keep hearing that this is going to get easier, but days like today remind us how raw the emotions are for all of us.

A much-loved and missed 'Little Brother.'


3 comments:

  1. Upon reading the blog this morning I could hardly hold back the tears. I find it very difficult to think that it does get easier since Granty has impacted your lives so deeply. We will keep praying that we can find some understanding to this tragic loss. Love, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connie, how can one understand this tragic loss? Here we are as adults and a three year old can express the sadness so openly. We will keep you in our prayers. Love Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. he looks just like Alexa in this picture...lil cutie!

    ReplyDelete