Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Giraffe Namesake?

I had seen a news headline about a rare species of giraffe, the Rothschild Giraffe, born at a Conservation Center in Connecticut, and I immediately thought of Granty.  My friend Molly had the same thought, as she e-mailed me a link to one of the news stories about the birth (http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/03/rare-giraffe-born-in-connecticut/)... great minds really do think alike :)

Tonight Alexa and I looked at pictures of the newborn giraffe on the Internet, and she ooh'ed and aah'ed over how cute the baby is (in her words - "Cute like Granty!).  She was definitely more interested in the pictures of the giraffes than the fun facts about the Rothschild species that I was plucking from various sites - they can have up to five horns and are 20-feet tall!  She did seem to think it was pretty cool that this species is considered to be the tallest land animal; if there's a superlative involved (since everything seems to be a competition these days), she's interested.  lol

The LEO Zoological Conservation Center is hosting a contest to name the giraffe, so naturally, I think Granty (or even Grantie)  would be the perfect name for this female giraffe.  I know it's a long-shot, but I am planning to write a letter about our Granty's story and submit it for the naming contest.  Since Granty already has a herd of giraffes at zoos throughout the US, I figured having one named after him is the next-best thing!

What a cute "little" baby....she already stands 6-feet tall!
LEO Zoological Conservation Center/AP photo 

3 comments:

  1. Christine Winkeler MannerMarch 27, 2013 at 5:46 AM

    I gotta tell you, Connie, I saw that article and thought of Grant immediately. The power of Grant....I never got to meet him and haven't seen you in a million years, but I can't see something that is giraffe-related and not think about your beautiful boy. It's a testament to his legacy and your love for him. Your are still in my thoughts in prayers everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connie, the phone didn't stop ringing yesterday due to the birth of the new baby giraffe. Most of the calls were from Michael's cousins informing me of the birth and my e-mails are such that I was supposed to forwarded them to you. After reading the blog I was glad to see that you already knew about the birth. I hope that the baby will be named Granty or Grantie, wouldn't that be awesome. Love Always, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I SUBMITTED MY VOTE FOR THE GIRAFFE! GRANTIE OR GRANTY

    ReplyDelete