Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The Power of Song

After the excitement and build-up of the birthday, tonight was very much a 'down night' for Alexa and myself.  I think I must have heard, "I'm tired" about five times during the drive home from school.... ;)

We did run out tonight to get a few things from the store, and I had turned on the 'Toy Story 2' dvd for her to watch on car's entertainment system.  There's a very sweet (& kind of sad) scene in the movie in which the cowgirl toy is reminiscing about when her owner played with her, all set to a pretty Sarah McLachlan song called, "When She Loved Me."  It's a beautiful song.  As Alexa watched this scene and heard the song, from the back seat she said, "Aww....this song makes me think of Granty.  I miss him so much; he was such a sweet baby."

Just like I think of Granty whenever I hear the song "Home" by Phil Phillips, Alexa has her own song that elicits memories of her brother.  Never underestimate the maturity of a four year-old.....  As sad as these moments are, it is comforting to know that, just like the rest of us, Alexa always has a beautiful and downright remarkable five-month-old baby boy (kind of frozen in time) in her heart and mind.

Who needs space..."we're family."



2 comments:

  1. Connie, was extremely tired last night and didn't even look at the blog till this a.m. How you have the energy to co-ordinate your lives astounds me. Such a great MOM and WIFE. Love, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "This picture is priceless!" Her innonence and love for Granty is so sweet. Alexa is also very funny... She will continue to bring so much fun and happiness to both of you. She definately has both of your genes. I don't think you will get any rest until tuesday...but it will be a fun weekend with family. I wish i could see Alexas face when you sing Happy Birthday. Enjoy! Love, Aunty Gail

      Delete