Saturday, March 9, 2013

Team Granty's Giraffes

I think we've uncovered a new annual event for our family - the Run to Fight Cancer was a lot of fun for all of us who participated.  I cannot tell you have meaningful it was to have Damon, Alexa and all four of Granty's grandparents there, but also the show of support from Granty's nurses, our friends and co-workers (not to mention all of those who accompanied them) was very humbling.  It was an unseasonably cold and damp March morning in Phoenix and instead of staying in the warm comforts of bed, team Granty's Giraffes members showed up bright and early for the 7:30am start.  There is no doubt how much our Granty was loved, and I'm so honored that these awesome tributes to his life and spirit continue with so many people.

At the starting line, the event organizers mentioned that over 3,000 people had registered for the run/walk, and the event was on-pace to raise $100,000 for the charities.  The run was extremely well-organized, with groups of college students (Grand Canyon University hosted the event) along the way cheering and a great focus on the cancer survivors.  Each cancer survivor received a superhero cape and participated in a special survivors walk....I'm not going to lie, I wish Granty was there to get one.  However, he was definitely there in spirit.

As proud as I am of all the participants in today's event, I am equally as proud for the monies that team Granty's Giraffes fundraised.  As of tonight, we're only $30 short of the $1,000 mark - awesome!  Thank you so much to everyone who contributed; it means to much to Damon and myself.  I hope that sometime in my lifetime I will be able to look back at all of the donations that have been made in Granty's honor and know that they contributed to a cure for this terrible disease.

After an extremely early wake-up this morning, I'm hoping to get some rest tonight...tomorrow's another big day with Alexa's much-anticipated birthday party! :)

Damon, Alexa & I with our "Granty's Giraffes" flag.
Some of the members of Granty's Giraffes:
Nichole (pediatrician's nurse), Mandy (PICU nurse), Gabriella,
myself, Jenny and Alexa.  What a team!
The BFFs (their outfits were identical) at the finish line.
Alexa was wearing a sticker that read, "In honor of my baby brother Granty."
WE LOVE YOU, GRANTY!!!


1 comment:

  1. Congrats to all of you who raced for Granty. I was there in spirit. Love you guys. Joanne

    ReplyDelete