Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Two-Thirds

I must admit, having the gymnastics equipment at home has been a blast for both Alexa and myself.  This birthday gift was purchased knowing that I would probably enjoy it just as much as Alexa.  The two of us open up Hovey Gymnastics nightly, practicing different routines and skills.  My favorite is when Alexa pretends she's the coach and I'm "the kid," and she coaches me through various elements.  It's hilarious to hear her encourage me and give accolades for a job well-done...apparently she thinks I'm pretty good at walking the balance beam on my tippy toes.

Tonight Alexa mastered her cartwheels, something I've been practicing with her for a couple of weeks.  I decided to forgo the methodical, step-by-step instructions and told her just to do it by herself - - and she did.   I was very impressed, as she was even doing them from a running start.  Needless to say, she was extremely proud of her self, and I was cheering for her like she had just won an Olympic medal (she had to settle for donning my 'Run to Fight Cancer' medal).  We were laughing, cheering and having a great time, when Alexa suddenly said, "I wish Granty was here watching us."  Me too, kiddo.

With Damon's schedule forcing him to work most nights, Alexa, Granty and I had developed a strong dynamic, and our smiley little guy was right in the middle of it.  It's moments like tonight, when we're laughing and having fun, that Granty's absence becomes more noticeable.  There's no doubt that Granty would have been sitting in his bouncy seat (or probably crawling around by now), laughing with delight, as he'd be watching Alexa and I perfect our cartwheels and aerials.  As much fun as Alexa and I have together, it is very obvious that there's a piece missing.  Even the most fun moments evoke a sense of sadness and longing to have our little boy with us.

Our little monkey....

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you instructed Alexa on cartwheels the same way you would help people with math in high school. "You just do it."

    ReplyDelete