Sunday, March 24, 2013

A Little R&R

Today was one of those perfect Sundays in which we had no plans or specific things (except 11am swimming) that we had to do.  Alexa and I met up with Damon at Pei Wei for lunch after swimming, stopped into Target and spent the rest of the day relaxing at home.  After the busy day yesterday and an early wake-up this morning, the day caught up to Alexa...she actually took about a two hour nap on the couch (with Alstott) this afternoon.  This is definitely not a common occurrence, so I was sure to take advantage of the downtime by watching some of the NCAA tournament and finally starting to organize my closet (something I've been pushing off forever).

Even though Purdue's not in the tournament, I still enjoy watching the games and will usually have the television on in the background, casually checking the scores when I'm in and out of the room.  I had the SLU game on yesterday and the volume muted, and by the freeze-frame on the screen, I could tell they were talking about a special Billikens fan in the stands.  I took one look at the tv, and, judging from the scars and what appeared to be a shunt, I immediately guessed that the young boy had a brain tumor.  Sure enough - - I was right.  I rewound the dvr to hear about the story, and, although it was a different type of tumor than Granty's, the parallels were very similar, as this boy had been diagnosed at just two months-old.  The story of the SLU basketball team embracing this cancer patient is heart-warming (http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/billikens-inspired-by--year-old-fan/article_393bfa11-229f-5b73-ac6e-6a720d380b4f.html), but it definitely puts in perspective the tough road that brain cancer patients face.  Whether it's a parent's instinct of not wanting to see your child suffer or a grief-induced rationalization process, I hear these stories and am so grateful that Granty never suffered nor had to endure a life of worry.  I'd give anything to have my little boy back, but I do find solace in the quality of life he had for those 175-days.  As the shirt of an Oncology PT at Phoenix Children's read - "Cancer Sucks."  Now we just hope for a cure.

Alexa & Alstott napping together on the couch...
there's a first for everything.
Not too happy that I woke him up with my impromptu photo session.

2 comments:

  1. Umm Purdue Womens!

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.

    We miss you very much.

    Our love to all of you,

    Ani

    ReplyDelete