It was a good chance for me to finally see the Montessori method at work in her Primary class. As soon as we entered the classroom, Alexa immediately went to pick up one of the lessons - a stamp with watercolor paints. After the stamping work, it was onto the metal inset (a tracing activity), and then she pulled out the tissue paper and glue activity. Hmm...all of her selections seemed to be based upon art and fine motor skills. Finally, Alexa's teacher interjected and suggested to Alexa that she should select some more challenging work - - - numbers and letters.
Alexa's teacher, who reads the blog religiously every morning, compared the task of getting Alexa to become engaged in the challenging work (numbers and letters) to her tendencies at swimming lessons. Poor Ms. LeAnna! I thought two times a week with swimming was tough, so I can only imagine the challenge on a daily basis. I was always a good student, so it is quite a challenge to get my head around Alexa's lack of interest in numbers and letters. I cannot fault Damon entirely for this one - - her perfectionist traits (getting frustrated if she doesn't get the hang of it quickly) are definitely from me. I was very happy to hear her teacher will be leading Summer Camp...looks like Alexa will have a summer of learning!
There is hope though...tonight was the best swimming lesson in a long time. She walked into the lesson entirely on her own, smiled and laughed with Coach Anthony and the girls in her class, and she even let go an swam on her own! I don't know who was more excited about the lesson - progress!
| Working on her letters and sounds....yeah! (For the record, the Crocs are her indoor shoes at school :) |
No comments:
Post a Comment