Friday, May 10, 2013

Small World

Sometimes I feel like Alexa's swimming lessons are my second career...because she missed her lesson last Saturday, she has lessons three consecutive days this week - Thursday, Friday (make-up) and Saturday.  Whew!  I am looking forward to a break after swim and gymnastics tomorrow morning....

At swimming tonight, I happened to be sitting next to a mother whose four year-old son was in the class a lane over from Alexa.  Unlike Alexa, her son loves the water, so the mother felt terrible when she saw Alexa crying on the pool deck, as Alexa wasn't too sure about the coach-in-training that was helping with her lesson tonight.  Soon, she had a cheering section of myself and the other mother rooting her on and applauding the progress she was making in the pool.

In the course of my small-talk conversation with the mother, she somehow brought up that she used to work at Phoenix Children's Hospital.  I asked her what floor/department she worked at PCH, and she mentioned that she had worked on a number of units via the Child Life department.  Without any prompting, she said Oncology and the ICU were the toughest floors for her.  I initially hesitated, but I told her that our family had a lot of experience with PCH, specifically the two departments she mentioned, and relayed what amazing work they do.  As we walked to the showers to meet the kids, she told me how rewarding it was to hear my comments and personal stories about the impact of her former department.  According to her, it made her weekend. :)

Granty in Room 6105 - - - bouncing in the Jungle Seat from the Child Life department.

No comments:

Post a Comment