When Alexa and I pulled through the gate of our community tonight, I saw an ambulance parked in front of a neighbor's house (a neighbor we do not know) and noticed a firetruck and police cars were following me through the gate. Uh oh. Sure enough - - Alexa wanted to check out the firetruck as it was parked next to our house, but she was far more interested in the ambulance and why it was there. I explained that ambulances come if someone is sick or hurt to take them to the hospital. This explanation opened up the floodgates of inquisition...
"Is the person going to die? Did Granty take an ambulance to the hospital? Why was Granty so sick that he died? I've been sick but I never died...." I reminded her that lots of people go to the hospital and get better, and I could instantly see a look of relief that our neighbor wouldn't die. As I reminded her that I had always driven Granty to the hospital, she suddenly remembered that I had taken Granty to PCH, while Damon took her to Gabriella's for a playdate. This was exactly what happened that fateful Saturday morning that I rushed Granty to the ER with hydrocephalus; I was shocked that she had such an acute memory of that day. With such a sharp memory, I'm grateful that she has positive memories (like a playdate with her BFF) during these pretty traumatic times.
| Fond memories...a girl who adores her baby brother. |
No comments:
Post a Comment