Thankfully, I was able to spend the entire day with Alexa, and she always manages to provide a good distraction and unknowingly lift my spirits. Today was no exception, as Alexa had another great swim lesson and even told me she wants to swim every day. I don't know what exactly caused this change, but I will take it...my fourteen months of persistence at swimming is finally paying dividends! Alexa topped off this fantastic swim lesson with an even better gymnastics class, making it all the way to the top of the rope (at least fifteen feet in the air). I had to smile as all of the mothers in the waiting room commented on her strength and were in awe that a girl who just turned four made it all the way to the top. This was a good distraction on yet another sad anniversary.
As Damon quickly learned one afternoon, Alexa is becoming very aware of the songs and lyrics on the radio; she exited his car one day singing, "I'm gonna pop some tags...I've got $20 in my pocket." Oy. I've made a conscious effort to make sure my radio is tuned to more family-friendly stations.
This afternoon she began to repeat one of the lyrics from the song "Gone Gone Gone" - - "Like a drum, baby, don't stop beating...." When we came home from the store, I pulled up the music video on YouTube so she could hear the song again. As I listed to the words, I began to tear-up, thinking about Granty, and Alexa took one look at me and began to do the same. "I miss him so much, Mommy." I could only hug her and remind her that all of us miss Granty.....When is this going to get easier???
The portion of the "Gone Gone Gone" lyrics Alexa was reciting (amazingly appropriate):
Like a drum, baby, don't stop beatingLike a drum, baby, don't stop beatingLike a drum, baby, don't stop beatingLike a drum my heart never stops beating for you
And long after you're gone, gone, gone.
I love you long after you're gone gone, gone.
And long after you're gone, gone, gone.
I love you long after you're gone gone, gone.
![]() |
| Our hearts are still beating for you, Granty! |

One of the greatest gifts Granty gave was the ability to appreciate life's miracles moment to moment. We miss you.
ReplyDeleteI don't think it is ever going to get easier. He has had such an impact on all of you. Miss all of you, Love Joanne
ReplyDelete