Sunday, April 21, 2013

A Battle of Wills

Alexa's progress at swimming was very short-lived at only a couple of sessions; since then, she has been regressing and she has seemingly become more petrified of the water.  I think these bi-weekly swimming lessons have become nearly as painful for me as they are for Alexa, as I sit in the viewing space watching Alexa become a contortionist to ensure she has a firm grip on her coach at all times.  Today was no different than any other lesson, as I watched Alexa figure out every way possible not to swim, and poor Coach Nick didn't even try to push it.

I was becoming more and more frustrated as the lesson dragged on, so I talked to the manager about switching coaches to one who would be a little tougher on Alexa.  I also decided that I was going to become her own tough love coach this afternoon in our swimming pool at home.  Shortly after lunch while Alexa was playing in her sandbox, I changed into my swimsuit and hopped into the pool.  Alexa, of course, wanted to join me, but she had no idea what she was in for this afternoon....

Unlike past times when we've been in the pool, I refused to carry Alexa around in the water this afternoon, telling her that she needed to swim to me if she wanted to leave the pool steps.  This was obviously not a popular stance, leading to a couple of meltdowns and one tantrum, but I refused to cave.  I also implemented "No crying by the pool" and "No holding onto my neck" rules which were equally unpopular.  So much for swimming being fun and relaxing!  We went back and forth for way too long, but finally a breakthrough.  After an hour or so, I finally convinced her to let go a swim to me.  A real miracle!  I upped the ante a bit by promising her a surprise if she continued to swim without holding onto me, and sure enough, she did it another five times or so.  Whew!

I did run to Target tonight to buy her a Melissa & Doug Fashion Fun Stencil set, but that was a small price to pay for the breakthrough I've been awaiting for months.  I knew the time was worthwhile when she asked to go swimming again tonight after dinner.  As much as I really didn't want to get back in the pool, I had to oblige and ride this wave of confidence she finally has.  I have already forewarned Alexa that we will be practicing this every night, but surprisingly she seems excited to do it.  Fingers crossed that the momentum continues....I cannot do these standoffs on a regular basis!  (For the record, Connie - 1, Alexa - 0).  lol


Alexa's first time in a pool - - 6-months old.
...and three and a half years later.  :)
(Not today's photo - wasn't smiling too much initially.)

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations to you both but what a battle, Connie, it seems as though you have it well in hand. Love, Joanne

    ReplyDelete