Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Eight Years!

Damon and I celebrated our eighth wedding anniversary today.  It's hard to believe it's been eight years since our wedding, an event my friend Kathryn, who was a bridesmaid in our wedding, was still talking about as we ran the half-marathon on Sunday.  It was truly a memorable event!

Damon and I met during my sophomore year of college, as he was on the Purdue Trap and Skeet team with a guy who lived upstairs from me.  Damon was the "California cool" guy who did things his own way (he had his own glassware at a campus bar for cripe's sake), and he had an aura about him that made people want to be around him...including myself.  I never would have expected the guy, who "wasn't my type" and was "just a good friend," would be by my side sixteen years later, enduring some of the best and worst moments of our lives together.

There's no doubt that the past year encompassed a lot of those bad moments - I think we have lived every parent's worst nightmare.  However, through the sadness, despair, anxiety and grief, we have become a stronger couple, and I believe Granty's life will have a lasting impact upon our marriage for the rest of our lives.

Damon worked today, so I'm looking forward to celebrating our anniversary on Sunday.  Damon's always had a knack for buying me great accessories, and he surprised me this morning with a beautiful new Louis Vuitton handbag and wallet.  Suddenly those two St. Louis Cardinals t-shirts and souvenir cup I brought home with me didn't seem so impressive....lol.  In all seriousness, I am a very lucky girl, and I'm looking forward to celebrating many anniversaries in the years to come.

We've come a long way from our days at Purdue!


6 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary! It was a very fun and memorable wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the picture! You both are lucky to have found each other! We can't believe 8 yrs have gone by. Yes, it was a fun wedding weekend! You both have experienced so much .....more than most old married couples. I believe that many more good things will happen for both of you. You both are wonderful parents, and so good to your families. We love you both...Enjoy your anniversary. P.S. "Damon, another great gift!" Love, Auntie Gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary! I have no doubt that Granty is proud to know that he brought you two closer together and made your marriage stronger. As parents we tend to think that we are the ones that are helping and teaching our kids...but in reality, they are the ones who are helping and teaching us. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary!!! You guys are such a great couple & I'm so jealous of your new goodies! Cant wait to see them in person. Good job Damon!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary to two of the best and strongest people we have the pleasure of having in our families. Love Always, Mike & Joanne

    ReplyDelete