Friday, April 12, 2013

A Day in the Park

Friday....Thank goodness!  Although it was a very short week, this weekend could not come soon enough.

I knew it was going to be a relatively quite evening, as Alexa looked exhausted when I picked her up from Aftercare.  Today was the final Park Day of the school year for her and her classmates, and it appeared she must have played full bore in the outdoors today.  Her fatigue didn't prevent her from nagging me during the drive home; she was very disappointed that I never volunteered as a parent-helper for Park Day.  I explained to her that the Park Days conflicted with my work schedule and important meetings (today was a quarter-close review) this year, but I am definitely on hook for volunteering next school year!  It's flattering that she wants me there; I don't think she'll be as enthusiastic when I volunteer to chaperone dances when she's in middle school ;)

Just as Alexa's class has taken advantage of the beautiful weather, the Infant classroom at her Montessori school has been doing the same.  Each night when I pick up Alexa, the children from the Infant room are usually spending time outside on a group stroller ride or toddling around the schoolyard.  It always makes me a little sad and wistful to see Granty's classmates, and it's even tougher when Alexa interacts with them.  Tonight one of the new walkers in the class walked towards Alexa and reached for her lunchbox as we headed out of the campus.  Alexa, of course, was extremely gentle with the little girl and sweetly kissed the top of her hand as she pulled back her lunchbag.  It's the simple moments like this that hit me the hardest - if only.....  

My little guy enjoying an afternoon outside...

1 comment:

  1. Connie, was totally behind on the blogs and caught myself up to date. I was at an engagement party last evening and Mike's cousin, Sr. Mary Ellen, CSJ asked if I have read the blog about the airport and Alexa seeing a giraffe poster and mentioning Granty and she promptly told me I should get caught up on the blogs. I think it is so sweet that he has made such a big impression on his sister, she will never forget him being the sweet, beautiful boy that I never had the pleasure of holding. My love to all, Joanne

    ReplyDelete