Sunday, April 7, 2013

Mission Accomplished!

We did it!  The eight of us who embarked on the St. Louis Half Marathon completed it today, and it seemed that each of us achieved the personal goals (mine was to make sure I was sub 2-hours...mission accomplished at 1:56) that we had set for the day.  Not too shabby!  I think a few of us were a bit surprised at the hilliness of the course; I might have altered my training plan a bit had I realized how hilly the course would be.  Oh well - I know for next year.  My knees are not too happy with me tonight, but I'm very proud of all of us who participated....I know my little boy would be proud as well.

After the race, there was nothing that sounded more appealing than a nap.  Last night, knowing I was waking up at 4:30am, I did not sleep very well at all....I kept checking the clock and doing a mental countdown to my alarm.  Ugh.  Needless to say, when I came home from the half-marathon this afternoon, I took a shower and immediately took a nap.  A rousing game of Hungry Hungry Hippos between Papa Niehoff and Alexa's didn't even phase my sleep - I was exhausted!

While I was at the race today, Alexa definitely enjoyed her morning with Papa and NeNe, taking advantage of the gorgeous weather in St. Louis today.  After providing the rundown of the morning activities, she  was very proud to announce that she was no longer afraid of worms (I never even knew she was afraid)!  My mom told me they spotted a worm, and after a little bit of prodding ad assurance that it would not bite her, Alexa picked it up and held it.  She was examining the elasticity of the worm and accidentally pulled it into two.  Yuck!  Needless to say, when she asked me to help her look for more worms this afternoon, I happily passed the request onto Papa.

Alexa playing with a worm for the first time...eww!

2 comments:

  1. Connie, Congratulations on your run less than 2 hrs. I am impressed. As for the worms---YUCK, I am definitely not a critter person unless it is a dog, thank you very much. Looking forward to seeing you on the 27th. Lots of Love, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, Connie!!! I can only imagine the conversations the girls are gonna have about worms....LOL!!! Swim wasn't the same yesterday without Alexa :-(

    ReplyDelete