Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Take Me Out to the Ball Game

Tonight we had a Hovey family outing, including my cousin-in-law Glenn visiting from St. Louis, and went to the Diamondbacks-Cardinals game in Phoenix.  As the norm for a transplant-heavy area like Phoenix, there were a lot of Cardinals fans in attendance.  The guy sitting next to us, a St. Louis fan, was very impressed when Alexa began to recite the line-up and knew which player was next to bat.  We were not able to stay for the whole game (Cards won!), but Alexa was able to cheer a go-ahead home run by the Cardinals in the sixth inning.  It was a great evening and a wonderful time at the ballpark!  Alexa held up really well, even sharing her treats (Cracker Jack) with Glenn and Damon...although she did ration their portions to five pieces each. :)

At Chase Field, they don't have a costumed-mascot, but rather four giant-headed characters representing legendary D-back players....the closest thing that I can use to describe these characters are the famous Sausage Races in Milwaukee.  Alexa's fear of life sized characters or people in costumes is not reserved for Santa Claus - - she was petrified of these giant heads, even when they were clear across the stadium.  They are a bit freaky, but Alexa curled up in a ball on my lap, and her pulse was racing like a monster had just come in the room.  Thankfully they didn't come in the section where we were sitting; otherwise, I think she would have had a nervous breakdown.  Poor thing!  I can guarantee Alexa will never request a clown for her birthday party...lol.

GIRAFFE UPDATE:  Yesterday, the LEO Conservation Center announced the newborn giraffe's name:  Sandy Hope, in honor of Sandy Hook victims.  Not "Grantie", but a great name nevertheless.....Hope is synonymous with our Granty for sure.

One happy fan....(yes, I need to get her more Cardinals
gear when I'm in St. Louis this weekend!)


3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you guys had a chance to go. What a great game! Alexa must be good luck :) if something comes up on Monday, I'll be more than happy to take that opening day ticket off your hands ;)-

    ReplyDelete
  2. GO CARDS!!!! Alexa is becoming a real fan of baseball, you go girl, Love Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will send her San Francisco Giants attire.
    Your favorite father-in-law

    ReplyDelete