Well, tonight's swimming lesson was an epic failure, as he couldn't even get up enough nerve to jump to me a few feet from the wall. I'll attribute the regression to the fact it was a Monday; both Alexa and I were wiped out tonight. I was prepared to make ravioli for dinner tonight, but I happily complied with Alexa's request for peanut butter and jelly (with a side of homemade kale chips to add some nutritional value) for dinner tonight instead....
After the playground on Saturday, Damon was already at work, so I took Alexa to the grocery store with me for what I thought would be a pretty quick trip. Not quite. As we entered the store, I quickly realized that Alexa had been crafting her own shopping list, largely influenced by her classmates' lunches and snacks. It was quite the challenge to listen to her describe the items as I would try to correctly guess what she was trying to explain. Surprisingly, I know my snacks and junk food pretty well. Alexa was getting frustrated as I ix-nayed most of her requests. I asked her what was wrong with the snacks and lunches I pack for her, and she told me, "Your food is too healthy, Mommy. I want to grow up big and strong, but I would still like to have special treats."
Damon and I know how lucky we are to have a child who tries new foods, and she usually does eat all of the fruits and vegetables packed in her lunchbag. As we left Fry's grocery store, I think both of us felt we had achieved a good compromise, as I bought her only one special treat - - cheese and dipping crackers just like BFF Gabriella. I don't think the homemade kale chips would be nearly as cool.... :)
| My little foodie... |
Connie, after sitting for Madison and Makenna for several years, I have learned to follow the rules Stef lays out for snacks, but once in a while I do give them an extra treat but I let Stef know so that they do not have extras in the evening. It is so hard not to give them everything they request but I do respect the parenting rule. You are doing a great job!! Love, Joanne
ReplyDelete