Tuesday, April 16, 2013

One of Those Days...

When I picked up Alexa from Aftercare, interrupting an art project on which she was working, I knew it was going to be a long night ahead.  Alexa was not too happy to see me, as it meant an abrupt end to her arts and crafts.  She's been waking up early to make sure she sees me before I leave for work (I had a few 6am departures in the past few weeks), which leads to a very tired girl by 6pm.  Tonight was one of those nights when fatigue seemed to get the best of her.  When I wouldn't allow her to eat a full bag of M&M's (an Easter treat from Nana Hovey) for her daily sweet allowance, she had a complete meltdown on the floor...I knew instantly that the issue was much more than that of a portion of M&M's.

Sure enough, when I was holding a sobbing Alexa and asking her what was wrong, she tearfully proclaimed, "I miss my Granty.  He was the cutest thing I've ever seen, but he died, and now I can't see him anymore."  It's moments like these that break my heart, and I have to summon every ounce of strength I have to keep myself composed.  I reiterated to Alexa that I too miss Granty and think about him all of the time, but I keep him close in my heart all of the time.  Alexa seems to understand the concept of holding Granty's memory in our hearts, but tonight she said, "I know, but I just wish he could come back for just one day so I could see him again."  Cue the tears...

Just as Damon and I are still learning to adapt to a daily grieving process, I think Alexa's doing the same.  I know we have a long road ahead and a lifetime that will be peppered with the good days and the sad days, but I truly believe we will get through these extremely tough times and have joyous days ahead.  After all, we have a great angel on our side watching over us.

There's no denying the mutual love and admiration with these two.
Check out his grip on her dress.... :)

2 comments:

  1. WOW, after a long day at work and a tired little girl you find the right words of comfort for your little one. If we all could be as strong as you. Our hearts are with all of you. Love Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. you guys will get through it..no doubt about it. hang in there through those sad ones..love you guys!

    ReplyDelete