Friday, January 18, 2013

A Great Cause

Alexa and I made the flight to Denver this afternoon; it's amazing how easy travel has become with her...and the iPad.  I remember flying to Denver from New Jersey for her cousin Xavier's birthday two years ago,and it was the flight from hell.  Alexa was just 18-months at the time, and I think it was the longest four hours of my life.  I think a toddler having a meltdown on the airplane is one of the most stressful situations, and I'm happy those days seem to be behind us (for now).

I'm very excited for the run tomorrow - - Terri's said it sounds like a great turnout is expected.  One of my friends from high school lives in the Denver area, and she'll be coming to the run too; it will be a great time.  The event is much more of social, fun run instead of a hard-core race as I initially thought, so that helps to take off a lot of worry about my training regimen.  We've opted for the six mile run; it will be hilly and obviously at a high altitude, but I'm confident it will be a good run.  A couple of weeks ago, I found some cute athletic headbands online, and sure enough, they were available in giraffe prints.  Granty will be with me tomorrow....   I'm just glad the temperatures have warmed up in Denver this weekend; I was getting nervous last week when I saw the Broncos game temperature was in the single digits.

The money raised tomorrow will be going to a great cause - University of Arizona Steele Children’s Research Center, which has an Oncology research team.  In order for company-match to be applicable, there were pretty strict guidelines for an educational institution, so my sister Terri did a lot of legwork to find this great cause.  Terri, who has a PhD in Genetics, asked a lot of questions and found that monies will likely go to a project that's investigating an anti-cancer vaccine (http://www.steelecenter.arizona.edu/areas/hemonc.asp).  Wow....wouldn't that be an amazing breakthrough!

"Bride" Alexa in her giraffe wedding dress...G's with all of us!

2 comments:

  1. Is there a link to make a donation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connie and Terri, good luck on the run as I am sure you both will do well. What a great cause. We're hoping that there will be a cure for this awful disease in our lifetime. Bride Alexa is adorable and I wanted you to know that Granty's blanket is always out and whenever I am still long enough I wrap myself in it and always say a prayer for our little angel. Love Joanne

    ReplyDelete