Barrett Jackson, the collectible car show and auction, is happening right now, so we're lucky to have Damon's dad, cousins and "pseudo-cousins" in the area this week. Papa Hovey surprised Alexa by accompanying Damon to pick her up from school yesterday, and needless to say, she was geeked to have her grandfather in town. We planned to meet at Wildfish for dinner tonight, and Alexa must have asked me 100-times when we were leaving to go to "Daddy's restaurant." Thankfully I had recorded an episode of "Super Why" (thank you Emily & Joe), so that did help to pass the time a little bit this evening.
Although the food is phenomenal, I rarely take Alexa to Wildfish when Damon's working. It's way too hard to try to keep Alexa in her seat; if it were up to her, she'd be shadowing Damon as he makes his way around the restaurant. Thanks to Vernon and his crew, I had a lot of help keeping Alexa entertained tonight, and it was great to visit with everyone.
Alexa was up to her normal antics, entertaining everyone with her larger than life personality and sass. She ordered chicken fingers and French fries (shudder) for dinner tonight, and Damon's cousin David was snagging a few fries from the heaping mound on her plate. This became a fun game for Alexa, as she began to tease David by swinging the French fries in his direction before she popped them into her mouth. At one point, David asked her if he could have one of the fries that she had just dipped in ketchup. She quickly popped it in her mouth, looked at him and said, "Too Late!" in a sassy tone. Oy - Damon and I are in trouble!
Since most of the guys have known Damon since he was young, I tried to attribute Alexa's orneriness as being "All Damon", but I think I've been part of this family way too long to get a free pass any longer. They simply acknowledged that Alexa was ornery but said they couldn't say it was all Damon. LOL - - they know me all too well after 12+ years. :)
| Alexa and Papa Hovey....this little girl loves her Papas. |
nothing better than little girls and their grandpas!!!!
ReplyDeleteShe is such a doll!!!!
Nikki Pell
Absolutely adorable! Love Joanne
ReplyDeleteI know you can't imagine this concept now, but one day you and Damon will experience the incredible, wonderful feeling of being a grandparent! I can see how happy Papa Hovey is in this picture. All Alexa needs to do is "Show Up!" and her grandparents will melt. Have a fun weekend. Love, Auntie Gail
ReplyDeleteConnie, I had the most lovely and touching surprise Friday night at Wildfish. I brought family and friends for dinner, and got to hug Damon. Words were few but emotions were many. During a quiet moment during dinner, he brought me a bag and said that he wanted me to have what was inside...a sweet little giraffe. It was one of the kindest gestures. Even though I never had the honor of meeting your sweet angel, he occupies a tender spot in my heart. Your family's grace continues to amaze me.
ReplyDelete